Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To drip or not to drip? That is the question....

Options
Fire in the Hole
Fire in the Hole Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are your ideas concerning the need to catch drippings? I have seen several pictures where the BBQ chef is simply allowing the drippings to fall directly onto the plate setter during indirect cooks. Some have mentioned various drip pan configurations, some with fluids of various types, while others simply use empty pans.[p]Usually, when I am low-n-slowing ribs or butts, I prefer to set a 9x13 drip pan filled with plain water on top of the plate setter. I understand the Egg is well known for retaining moisture in the foods being cooked. But I find that the added humidity provided by the drip pan water certainly doesn't hurt. One of my reasons for adding the water is to prevent the drippings from burning in the pan and adding an unwanted smoke component to the chamber. I want to control the smoke flavor that is being applied to the food.[p]When I cook ABT's however, I usually do not add water to the drip pan. In the case of the ABT's, I am more concerned with catching the drippings from the bacon to prevent flare-ups and I want the chamber humidity to remain much lower to allow better crisping of the bacon.[p]For direct cooking, obviously there is no drip pan and I deal with any dripping flare ups accordingly.[p]What do you do and why?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    i cook my ribs low and slow direct on a raised grill with no drip pan because i like the added flavor and bark. now ive always done butte and picknics over a pan, but i would like to try one direct on a raised grill, anyone do this

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    fishlessman,
    When you do your ribs direct like that what temp do you use?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    jake42,
    220-225 raised grill,temp is dome temp. i trim them after they cook, eat the spares and put the chine side back on for a little while, cook the standing chine side up so that the fat runs down them. start checking after 4 hours, but they sometimes go 6-7

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    I too use a drip pan for low n slows and also add water to keep th drippings from burning. I have had success with a deep dish pizza pan that is the same diameter as the inside of my platesetter. I got it at a restaurant supply store for under $10.

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]That pizza pan sounds like a great idea. How does the depth compare to a standard 9x13 cake pan like the one I use? Does the water tend to boil away any faster due to the areas of the pizza pan that is not blocked from the heat below by the plate setter? I usually have about 1/8" to 1/4" of water/grease left in the bottom of my 9x13 at the end of a standard low-n-slow. I tend to start the cook with the pan filled to the brim.