Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston-Butt cook

Options
partaf
partaf Posts: 30
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Do I need to rub the butt down with mustard or should I use Olive Oil? I plan on using the Dizzy Dust Coarse for my rub.

Comments

• Salty Hogs BBQ
    Salty Hogs BBQ Posts: 171
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I always pat dry the butt after taking it out of the package with paper towels and slather it with yellow mustard. Then I put the rub on it and wrap it in plastic wrap. I then put it in the fridge for a few hours before putting it on the Egg.

Some use olive oil and some just put the rub on the butt with nothing else.

I just have used the yellow mustard technique for so long and all of my butts have come out great, I refuse to change what isn't broke.
  • FSM-Meatball
    Options
    I have always used mustard. It does not add any noticeable flavor and the vinegar helps break down the collagen, even if only a little. I like to use a brown sugar based rub with spices. Lately I have been using Bad Byrons Butt Rub but Dizzy Dust is good also, mix either with the brown sugar and rub it on.
  • partaf
    partaf Posts: 30
    Options
    Just curious, how much mustard do I spread on? 1/8" or less. Thanks alot
  • FSM-Meatball
    Options
    Just a thin coat. I squirt a couple of lines across the butt and rub it in like suntan lotion. Just enough to give the rub something to stick to.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I mix about 50/50 yellow mustard and water and then add a splash of Worcestershire and cider vinegar. Also what Meatball said... just a really thin coating.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Options
    I've yet to use mustard. I pat dry give a good coating of rub, wrap in clear plastic wrap for a few hrs in the frig. When I'm ready to cook take the plastic wrap off and give another dusting of rub then into the cooker. Guess someday I'll have to give mustard a try just to see.
  • Smokedawg
    Options
    I have done mustard, injecting the butts, and using my own rub. Now, I simply use Jack's for the rub (so good and not worth making my own rub), use two seven to eight pound bone-in Boston Butts. Put them on a V-rack fat-side up, and place the V-rack in an aluminum pan with apple juice. Add some soaked hickory chunks in with the charcoal, regulate temperature to 250 degrees, and they are absolutely perfect 10 to 12 hours later.