Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

There should be a member directory....

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited August 2011 in Forum Feedback
In thinking about the need to contact forum admins, I thought, well if you knew who they were, you could click on their name and then use the message feature. However, there is no directory of members, so you'd be reduced to trying to find a post from them or that they were online in order to find them.
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Geeze Doug...give it a break. You are becoming the dark cloud hanging over this board.

Go cook something!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• The Naked Whiz
    edited August 2011
    I would assume that the folks in charge want feedback. They seemed to welcome it earlier. I'm not demanding anything, just suggesting things they either need to be working on someday or perhaps telling me that I missed how to do it and showing me how to do it. I guess the darkness of the cloud is in the eye of the beholder....

Of course, if there were a member directory so I could find the admin's and contact them in private, this wouldn't have to be public. :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    If you go to your inbox and start a new conversation when you begin to fill in the recipients name possible matches auto populate. I would suspect Eggzilla_jr would be a good place to start.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Geeze Doug...give it a break. You are becoming the dark cloud hanging over this board.

Go cook something!
    I agree. Getting old. Sad thing is, Naked Whiz has a wealth of knowledge to share, but shares it on the old forum and is only critical here. If it was a mix of criticism (or should I say--feedback :)) with advice on how to smoke/grill something, people wouldn't think it is agenda driven.

Right now, it screams agenda.

• Egg Juju, thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i think that is a great idea doug!!!

dont think you are alone in your ideas if others think you are just complaining then count my vote with yours

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I can’t think of a single person, forum member, dealer or BGE employee, that has done as much for BGE, ceramic cooking and teaching new members the ins and outs of Green Egg cooking than The Naked Whiz. Not to mention nearly every BBQ related item made.

“Geeze Doug...give it a break. You are becoming the dark cloud hanging over this board.

Go cook something!”

Doug’s post was not rude. Just stating a “valid” point.

How many thousands of hours went into his website and how many Eggs has he sold for BGE. Thousands of people from all over the world have learned from Doug. Now he and many others can’t even link to their web posts or direct users to a place that already contains the information in question. If Doug were negative I could hardly blame him.

“If it was a mix of criticism (or should I say--feedback :)) with advice on how to smoke/grill something, people wouldn't think it is agenda driven.

Right now, it screams agenda.”

I bet the number of people Doug’s website has helped, out numbers the plates of BBQ you have eaten. Now he is not allowed to link the information. Who is stopping Doug from helping, BGE and people like you who are basically now calling him a trouble maker.

It’s very easy to blame a wheel for squeaking. That does not make it the wheel’s fault. Think about fixing the issues, not the person pointing them out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • +1 in support of Whiz -- everybody chill -- looks like he is adding posts to the forum feedback area in a way that is archiving feedback or improvements that can be made. Unfortunately, they lump into the main "latest posts" view and potentially create anxiety or unnecessary snarkiness. "Lump"-- pun intended!!!
  • Naked Whiz is bashing this site and BGE on numerous other sites. It is agenda driven and to play it off as though he truly wants to help this site improve is laughable.

If you don't like it, leave. It is that simple.
  • The Naked Whiz
    edited August 2011
    Photo Egg, thanks for all the kind words.

I suppose I do have an agenda, which is to make this forum more usable for me, and perhaps others also. It's pretty clear I don't like this new forum, but rather than urinate all over the place and then storm off as I will admit some have done, I chose to try to learn how to use it, and suggest what is needed to improve it. I choose to do this in public posts so that anyone can comment if they agree or disagree, or even show me how to do something that I've missed. There are no instructions here, so experimentation and asking for improvements are pretty much the only way to figure it all out. If someone like Eggzilla wants to contact me offline and discuss this, that is fine. But bottom line is if I finally decide not to use this forum, it won't be because I didn't give it a chance. If this doesn't fit your particular conspiracy theory, well, sorry......

The Naked Whiz
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I like that you are pointing out some good idea's for this new forum. Though at times there appears to be whining involved most of your suggestions are decent ones. I hope someone is righting them down.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • DrZ, I think I've moved on past the whining stage... :-)
    The Naked Whiz

• There is a fine line on being part of the solution or being part of just another problem. I'm choosing to stand back and let the people in charge do their jobs. The Naked Whiz is the Naked Whiz, no argument on that fact from me....the "Elvis" of lump charcoal.

This whole statement represents my personal opinion, nothing else. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Smitty, no problem. I've chosen to engage them and give them some feedback. Heck, everything I say is my personal opinion, :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This is the "Forum Feedback" section folks :). If you only want to see posts about cooking you can click on the Egghead Forum. Granted, lots of people have been posting there incorrectly but this one is where it belongs. I think it is a good suggestion.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    @Salty Hogs: It is interesting that all you have done is blast the "old farts" as you call them - the ones who have over the years used a 'decrepit, antiquated forum' to build a huge BGE following. They have posted tons of pictures, recipes; helped countless newbies and given enormous amounts of advice. The Naked Whiz is a prime example.

Yet, let's see, what have you done? 9 posts - no original post, only comments. What have you cooked? - hmmmm nothing on here. What BGE or cooking advice or recipes have you posted? hmmmm - none! Only criticism of the people who are trying to adjust to this new Forum and decide if this is a place they can be comfortable.

Who are you, as a relative newbie, to tell someone with extensive experience they should just leave the forum?

Why don't you try posting something positive and constructive here? Do you even own an Egg? Can you cook on it? Let's see something that you have cooked.

Let's get on to what has made the BGE Forum so popular - cooking, recipes, helping others, being a close family sitting around the table and sharing...

Just my $.02.....
  • So...who are the mods on this forum? Simple question.
  • I asked that question and was told Brenda Miller was going to moderate the forum.
    The Naked Whiz
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Clark I second your motion and I have have had a crzy work summer and am getting up to speed on the new site.What the freak is happening??

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2011
    Mississippi_Egger said: Who are you, as a relative newbie, to tell someone with extensive experience they should just leave the forum?
    @Mississippi_Egger - with all due respect, that is a big part of the problem. I've seen another forum where another "elder" member said something about the "changing of the guards."

I think that's part of the problem - there is no "changing of the guards" - if you think so, then you think of yourself as a "guard" which is why so many newbies get flamed, intimidated, and otherwise are discouraged from posting anything deemed the least bit "offensive" to the few, but very loud, "guards" at the old forum.

And ummm, last time I checked, we were all adults, and none of us need, nor want "guards."

I think too many of the folks with large post numbers by their names feel they are "entitled" to some sort of privileged status. The number of posts only means you've posted more than others - it's not a "contest" or a "status" symbol.

The arrogance & elitist attitude of some of the older members with respect to newer members is why a lot of newer members prefer this forum - here, there are NO imaginary "classes" of plebians vs aristocrats - we are all equal, and our "worth" is not dictated by the number of posts someone has. In fact, all that means, in reality, is that you have posted more times than someone else - nothing more. It doesn't make you any "better" or "more experienced" or more "privileged" - if anything, it could mean that you just need to get out more & have a real life outside of the forum.

I think most people would MUCH rather have a few QUALITY posts that actually answer questions & help make them better cooks than bunches of posts saying "hi, LTNS" or "OT - ping such-and-such you've got mail" or "OT - look at this totally unrelated link" - and I know most people would like to see posts about how to get the best experience out of their Egg versus how to get the Google page index increased on the old forum.

So it goes BOTH ways - you want people to "get along" - then quit acting like an elitist snob who thinks he's better than others with less posts.

Just my $0.02...

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • P.S. BTW - how do I get it to show a blue box when I'm quoting someone??? (like Salty Hog's post where he quotes Smitty)

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hillbilly, as I understand it, there is a problem with quoting. I don't get blue boxes either, but you see them on lots of posts. They know about it, so I reckon it will get fixed.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Hillbilly - I have only been posting on the forum for a year or so but I have never ever felt like anyone on the other forum thought they were better than me. All day long new people ask questions on the original forum and get answers from everyone. Not only do they get answers but they get good answers from people with more experience on the egg than either you or I. I have been to 2 fests and those are all the people from the original forum and everyone was more than willing to help out in any way they could. I'm just really confused as to where you are getting your information from because I spend a decent amount of time on the original forum and have never seen people thinking they are better than others.
  • Misippi Egger
    Hillbilly,
    If you will look back at my old posts, you will see that I don't consider myself an elitist and usually don't get involved in these arguments.
    That being said, go back and read my post above. My criticism of SaltyHogs was not so much his number of posts, but the fact that none, repeat, NONE of his 9 posts had any helpful BGE suggestions, no cooks, no recipes, etc. All he has done is rail against what he perceives are the old farts. THAT is not helpful or encouraging to newbies or forum visitors.
    Change is handled differently by people. Some embrace it, some fight it and some struggle with it, yet hang in there, hoping it will be an improvement. I'm trying to be in the latter category. I do not like many of the features (or lack of features) on this Forum, but am giving the administrators the benefit of the doubt and waiting it out. Some features have since been added.
    This forum does seem to lack the "family" feeling many of us appreciate on the old forum, but that just may be the way this one goes.....
  • Lit said: I'm just really confused as to where you are getting your information from because I spend a decent amount of time on the original forum and have never seen people thinking they are better than others.
    Yes, I agree - there is a LOT of great information, unfortunately, it looks like it is mostly being given "over there." This is EXACTLY what I was concerned about when the new forum went online, and then the "old forum" got rehosted, which is what I TRIED to keep from happening. The paths of the posts are starting to diverge. For example, The Naked Whiz posts "suggestions" for improvements over here, yet he posts links to home tandooris over there. And a member of our military posts about the Deployed Mini BGE (DMBGE) here because I'm sure this is the site that pops up when he logs in (heck, I'm sure he doesn't even know there was a forum split, as he's got WAAAAAYYYY more important things to worry about). Anyway, the folks who refuse to come over to this forum can't see the pictures of the DMBGE in action.

It's sad, really, when you think about it...

As far as some members thinking they are "better" - perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words. But I have seen on MORE than one occasion, someone w/ more posts chastising someone w/ fewer posts, and there have been many posts about the "guards" and the "rebels" and about keeping 2 forums... and there are members on the old forum who are actively sending private emails to folks on the new forum to get them to "convert" to the old forum... so there IS a sense of "who's side are you gonna be on" type of thing going on, which, as I said, is SAD...

• Hillbilly,
    If you will look back at my old posts, you will see that I don't consider myself an elitist and usually don't get involved in these arguments.
    That being said, go back and read my post above. My criticism of SaltyHogs was not so much his number of posts, but the fact that none, repeat, NONE of his 9 posts had any helpful BGE suggestions, no cooks, no recipes, etc. All he has done is rail against what he perceives are the old farts. THAT is not helpful or encouraging to newbies or forum visitors.
    @Misippi Egger - fair enough. I didn't mean to single you out, personally (though, I guess the way I responded WAS singling you out) - my response was meant to ALL the folks who I feel have the attitude of "more posts = more power" type of thing. If that's not what you meant to convey w/ the "Who are you, as a relative newbie, to tell someone with extensive experience they should just leave the forum?" then I apologize for singling you out on it.

I think we are ALL "on edge" so-to-speak regarding this change - some folks do not want to leave the old forum, some folks do not want to stay at the old forum, some folks don't want to see the posts diverging, causing 2 completely separate forums (this is the camp I fall in to).

I now have to log in to & monitor TWO forums, because the same information is NOT being posted on them. And because of the 2 forums, there has been a "split" in the "family" - sort of like if a divorce occurs & 1 kid goes w/ 1 parent while the other kid goes w/ the other parent. You lose a sense of that "togetherness" which really sucks.

I just wish that either BGE did NOT pull support for the other forum & start this one, orrrrrrrrrrrr - that the other forum did NOT get re-hosted - either way there would not have been 2 forums - now, as it is, there is the split...

I just want ONE forum - it's sooooo much easier :-D
  • Misippi Egger
    @Hillbilly,

Well said!
    I was specifically directing my comment you quoted to that guy since he appears to be relatively new, contributes nothing useful to this BGE cooking forum, yet, implies "ownership" by telling someone who was trying to make constructive suggestions to leave. Not cool!

I,like you, don't like having to log into 2 forums to 'keep up", but it looks like it will be that way for a while. Corporate has made some strategic mistakes, but I hope they work things out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    whiz
    if your not getting the blueboxes for the quotes, do you have the quote link, its next to the handle of the person you want to quote... handle then time, then quote feature

hillbilly
    im with you on...wish that BGE did NOT pull support for the other forum & start this one, i think they could of worked out a newer format with the millers, one that may have made more folks happy with it. im not sure if they thought or expected the millers to stop running their forum which really wouldnt have been right to expect that. im probably the one that posted changing of the guards, i didnt mean to say the arrogant ones as running the forum, more a natural progession of newbies posting for help. then giving help, then maybe posting more ot and what seems like arrogance (sometimes it is) then fading away for different reasons, the newbie eventually steps up and so it continues. what happened here was an abrupt change. ill be in both forums but hope all this nonsense eventually leaves (here and there)

salty hogs
    whats your real handle, you seem to only use this one to rank on folks, why are you hiding under a different handle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it