Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-1-1- Foil

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I'm doing the 3-1-1 for spares but elect not to use sauce, should I still foil them or skip it and and just to a 4-0-1 type method?[p]Thanks,
Bob

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Bob,
    the second phase is the foil stage - it has nothing to do with saucing. As for saucing to each his own, but that only goes on near the end of the cook and is in a matter of minutes not hours. HTH

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    RRP,
    I've been doing 3 hours indirect, 1 hour in foil with sauce inside the foil for that one hour, then one hour on the grill. If I sauce my ribs, are you saying do 3-1-1 (with foil) but only add the sauce during the very of end of the last hour of the grill part? That seems like a very good way to go[p]Thanks,
    Bob

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Bob, the foil stage is plain no sauce - the purpose is to steam and render out fat, then for the last you are firming them up and finishing them. I don't know your sauce but most have a heavy sugar content and that will burn. Personally I serve my ribs with sauce on the side. Good luck.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.