Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcocked chicken

Mister
Mister Posts: 5
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I would like to try to simply grill a spachcocked chicken. Indirect or direct? How long and at what temp? do you use a grill extender? do I start it skin up or down? Sorry for so many questions!
Mister

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    You can do it direct or indirect. Personally I like it direct, as high up in the dome as I can get it. I usually cook it at 350 to 400 bone side down for the majority of the cook, but flip it to the skin side for the last 10-15 min. How long? It depends on the size of the bird, but usually somewhere between 45-60 min. As I said, there is more than one way to do it, so try it a few ways. The best part about experimenting with the egg is that you get to eat the results and usually none are bad. :)
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    I do mine at 375-400 direct, skin side up 1hr to 1:15, comes out perfect every time.
  • I did two last week at 375 for 1 hour, breast up direct. Came out great except that the skin was a little soggy. I think next time I am going to put it breast down for the last 15 minutes
  • Spoon
    @Geaux I like my skin crisp, so the flip for the final 10-15 is key. Some people have also suggested a corn starch dusting to help crisp the skin, but I haven't tried it yet.
  • @Spoon The corn starch or corn meal will help it crisp, but beware of it burning. Glad to hear the skin down for 15 minutes helps, I will try that next time for sure. I know Naked Whiz also says to let it sit in the fridge uncovered for 24-48 hours before the cook to help crisp the skin.
  • Spoon
    @Geaux I am too lazy for that! I don't usually plan that far ahead for a cook unless it's a brisket or a butt. I will have to plan and try it that way one time to see if it makes a difference.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    You can do it direct or indirect. Personally I like it direct, as high up in the dome as I can get it. I usually cook it at 350 to 400 bone side down for the majority of the cook, but flip it to the skin side for the last 10-15 min. How long? It depends on the size of the bird, but usually somewhere between 45-60 min. As I said, there is more than one way to do it, so try it a few ways. The best part about experimenting with the egg is that you get to eat the results and usually none are bad. :)
    I cook mine the same as you. Man those things are juicy! The corn starch trick does work. What works also is after you sprinkle it with rub, go back into the fridge uncovered for the most part of the day. The outside skin will dry up making that last 15 min skin down a heck of a lot more effective. The skin will crisp right up. Works on wings too.

• I brush mine with olive oil, season, cook direct on raised grid. I keep mine at 400 breast side up through the entire cook. Nice color nice skin great meal.