Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best and Worst Eggccessory

Oakville Egg
Oakville Egg Posts: 27
edited August 2011 in Forum List
Just curious what people think... What is the best Eggccessory you have bought. Couple that with the the one you could have done without. May help those of us who are just getting into this stuff.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    There are no bad accessories, only some that you don't use that often.

Spring "Heavily Accessorized" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • A plate setter is a must!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I wouldn't buy a plate setter again. The woo from the ceramic grill store works as both indirect and a raised cooking grid if you get a pizza stone for much less money.
  • tbk420
    tbk420 Posts: 70
    Adjustable Rig and Spider - best

Electric Starter - worst
  • Plate setter is very high as is raised grid.
    thermopen is probably the best!

welding gloves, spatula and tongs are also big.

remote thermometer is a must for overnight/ lo and slo cooks.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2011
    salt-n-pepa shakers. . . without these two your just another dude with an egg
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    salt-n-pepa shakers. . . without these two your just another dude with an egg
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Plate setter easily the one that makes the difference, gotta have it. Most other things can be substituted. For convenience, the grill lifter tool, ash tool and some kind of lighter are necessities, but don't have to be BGE brand.
  • NDG
    upload problem now solved.
    Columbus, OH

• golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Adjustable rig and spider/ Thermapen are my top 2 purchases.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    i would not buy the lump reducing ring for an xl. just put in less lump and move it to the back.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I think the plate setter is a must, thermapen is great, maverick can't live without. Ash tool works well. I have been pretty disappointed in the grill extender - found it rusted pretty easily and was tough to keep stable on the grill rack (very possible I am doing something wrong). Spider and cast iron grate are awesome for steaks.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Many different opinions!

Must
    - Instant thermometer but I becoming less dependent on it.
    - Cast Iron grate

Useless purchase....
    - Heavy duty propane (bazooka) burner. TOO DANGEROUS! I now use a weed burner.
    Marc
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2011
    If I had it to do over again, I think I would skip the plate setter, raised grid, three tier rack I have and just go with the adjustable rig/spider combo or a woo3 setup. I've not actually used one of these products but they look great.

A decent pair of welders or BBQ gloves are great, and I really like the maverick et-732 for remote monitoring.

The three tier rack is just OK IMO. I don't think I have ever managed to use all 3 tiers. Without the plate setter, it is really hard to get to the bottom rack because the top racks are in the way. It's also not easy to move the racks around during cooking. You can swivel them, but you can't rotate the racks very easily. (It is possible with the aforementioned good pair of welders gloves).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 455
    edited August 2011
    Plate setter easily the one that makes the difference, gotta have it. Most other things can be substituted. For convenience, the grill lifter tool, ash tool and some kind of lighter are necessities, but don't have to be BGE brand.
    Plate setter...check

Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Plate-setter and cast-iron grids made it for me.

The Pirellis and chrome wheels on the Nest, not so much.

B-)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• brody
    brody Posts: 32
    I really like the long handled billybar cleaner, and friends love the cast iron grid but I don't have one.
  • This thing is pretty cool...I purchased this when I purchased my large egg.

• This thing is pretty cool...I purchased this when I purchased my large egg.

Just curious what is this?

• Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Its a two tier system. Check out ceramic grill works dot com
  • They call it a 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System. The shop is called Ceramic Grillworks based here in Pittsburgh. www.ceramicgrillworks.com go into their video section to see it in action and their web store to buy it. Works pretty nice, the upper rack can be raised, lowered or removed if need be.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Custom made handles. Thermo pen.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • who makes custom made handles? Website please, could use some Fighting Irish or NY Giants handles if possible.
  • pmnhsn5
    pmnhsn5 Posts: 21
    My no. 1 - Adjustable Rig and Spider
    My No. 2 Stoker
    Do not have a thermapen sounds like it is a top choice.
    Don't use my platesetter much anymore but it is a must if you don't have an indirect setup accessory.
    Most folks being new to the BGE and aren't willing to shell out an extra $80 - $150 on top of the cost of the egg, go with the platesetter, like me. For many it is all they need.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You don't have to get the adjustable rig to replace the plate setter. You can get the woo3 and pizza stone combo at the ceramic grill store for $69 and for under $10 go get a metal 15" pizza tray from walmart. Then you can cook pizza (metal pizza tray on the bottom rack of the woo and pizza stone raised), you can do indirect with either of the pizza trays on the bottom rack of the woo, or you can just put the grate on the top of the woo to cook raised at the felt level. With these 3 things you can do pretty much anything you want on the egg as far as setups go. Of course a thermapen is nice too.
  • I will go for the plate setter as a must but second is a digi-que thermometer/fan it keeps my egg at just the correct temp. I never learned to use a turbo-grate so I guess that would be my least useful.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    # 1 Must: thermopen
    Save your money: plate sitter and CI grids. The spider from Tom with a small stone. The SS from BGE and save the money on CI....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Best:
    1. Adjustable Rig and Spider from Ceramic Grill Store (add stones, racks, drip pans as needed)
    2. Rutland gasket (never replace again)

Worst:
    1. Plate sitter (hard to store and transport)
    2. BGE three tier cooking grid (I find this unusable)
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    I don't have anything. I double the grid, with nuts and bolts and I make use of the many cast iron skillets that I have (drip pans, off set cooking, griddle). I am probably going to buy a pizza stone, though.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I got the BGE Grill Extender for a Christmas present. Not real fond of it. I would have rather gotten something from the ceramic grill store.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings