Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokey Flavor

Hawkie
Hawkie Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I have a BGE and enjoy cooking and eating ribs and pulled pork. However, I don't like a smokey flavor in steaks and chicken. Is there a way to cook these without the smokey flavor? I have tried without using any wood chips but everything seems to have a smokey flavor,

Thanks

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    What kind of lump are you using?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• You can reduce how much smoke comes in contact with the food by either cooking in a cast iron skillet on the grill (think griddle) or using foil pouches to contain the food. Usually, the goal is to add smoke flavor so you are working against the goals of most grillers and grill products but it's not impossible.
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    I am new, but at least with steaks, I just leave the lid up.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Also, make sure to let the charcoal burn off all the VOC's. You shouldn't see smoke or just a very light alsmost blue smoke, then you know al the bad tasting (and bad for you) stuff has burned off.

But charcoal cooking always has some taste, otherwise you would be grillin on a gasser. My wife love me cooking on the egg, but she just told me she isn't crazy about grilled vegetables because she thinks they taste like licking the grill grate. I guess I will have to fire up the old Weber for veggie side now.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • burn clean. this means if you have drippings from a previous cook, they could contribute to the smokie flavor. I think steak is fairly forgiving of smoke but chicken is not so much.
  • @Spoon - just throw the veggies in a foil pan or make a pouch with aluminum foil. I have had real good luck with mushrooms or asparagus and added soy sauce, butter and garlic salt. Another good one is a frozen vegetable gumbo mix with butter, salt, hot sauce or spices.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Thanks Buckwoody, I will give it a try and see how the wife likes it.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Hawkie
    Hawkie Posts: 2
    Thanks for your suggestions. I am using BGE wood charcoal.

• once it's at temp try letting it burn for an extra 10-15 mins or until you don't see any smoke coming from the top...all you'll see is the heat rising from the dome.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!