Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Pork & All The Fixin's w/Pics

Options
Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
About a week ago a friend asked me if I wanted some habs... well... yeah! His cousin has a green thumb like no other and I got some great peppers. Hmmmm... what to do with that many habs? Jerk Pork!

What to go with it. Something cold & crunchy-- a retreat from the heat. I still wanted to have that Caribbean feel, if only in the eyes of a Kentuckian, so we chose a slaw recipe that seemed sweet/tart. We also made some rice & beans to round out the meal.

I bought a 2 butt pack from Costco, so Ifigured I would do a regular pulled pork should someone not want the hot stuff. Might was well do some ABT's too. Right? The missus made her delicious double citrus tart for desert.

The Jerk Pork got rave reviews-- truly delicious. The cooking moderated the heat considerably, for 1 lb of habenero's , and the crust was nothing short of barbecue heaven. The allspice smoke was stunningly fragrant and the salty and spicy flavors danced on your tongue.

The real surprise was just how wonderful the Slaw tasted. The dressing I made had mayo, sour cream, rice wine vinegar, reduced orange juice, and S&P. The fruit/vegetable portion was cabbage, carrot, poblano, red bell pepper, scallions, and mango.

Gallo Pinto... well... essentially red beans and rice. Tasty... I think it suffered from some over cooking. It was fairly critically timed and we had a torrential downpour in the middle of the last bit of cooking. Our guests lost power, had limbs to move out of the driveway, navigate around downed power lines on the way and we were scurrying to get things out of the rain. I could not believe how much rain was blowing through the screens-- I had a small pond for a bit. The pork and slaw didn't mind, but the rice & beans were a little over.

I stuffed some Jalapeno's with kielbasa and gouda cheese... very tasty, but they were consumed before I could get a finished pic.

Traditional Pulled on the small egg...

It was very tasty, but only nibbled on as we all ate the jerk.

The marinade ingredients for the jerk pork...

On the egg after about 6 hours in the fridge...

I smoked it with apple and whole allspice until it was 195...

The sides...

I am not sure of the authenticity, but it sure was tasty...

The CFO made the most wonderful Double Citrus Tart...

Thanks for taking a look...
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments