Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KOMODO VS. BGE

Options
yaslei
yaslei Posts: 1
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Been looking at both grills and they appear to be about except for the price. Does any one have an experience with that may help me to make a choice. Additionall, are the accessories interchangeable? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• rib rangler
    Options
    i have cooked on both and can tell you there is no difference. i personally have three bge's . and if i was to start all over i would buy kamado.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    yaslei, are you talking about the $3600 Komodo Kamado? I should think it would be obvious that the accessories don't swap between the two. Or are you talking about Kamado Joe? Imperial Kamado? The Primo Round Kamado?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    I bet he is talking about the Kamado Joe. It is the same size as the Lg BGE. KJ uses a double gasket on the top and bottom and also around the top. Draw your own conclusion. The air hole at the bottom of the fire box is smaller. otherwise there about the same
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    Komodo Kamado's make me drool.. Sure they cook the same as a BGE but they are piece of art.....

However, If I spent $3600 on one, my wife would ensure my cohones were pieces of art hanging on the wall..
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2011
    Options
    On the other older forum we did not do ceramic product comparisons. Are there different rules now??
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yes, it will be interesting to see if that "tradition" continues.
    The Naked Whiz
  • NotoriousPAT
    Options
    I have both a large BGE and an old Kamado #4 (from the 60's). I got the Kamado #4 at a garage sale for 20 bucks, so the price was right. Since getting it, I added some BGE accessories to it (egg nest, top vent, and dome thermometer). They both work great, but the BGE has a lot more control and gets hotter with better fire box and lower vent. I am sure that the newer Kamado grills are much better than the one I have from the 60's. The old one seemed to be made from cement and re bar.