Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking bacon (slices)

IrishDevl75
IrishDevl75 Posts: 12
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hello All, new to the board. I recently bought an XL BGE and can safely say I am an addict. I am making ribs today (smoke applewood chips). I also bought some bacon slices at my butcher and wondering what everyone's method would be for cooking (how long, rub/no rub? etc...). It will be on with the ribs (at some point during the cook). Thank you.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i don't have a link to it but pig candy is awesome the recepie is

bacon
    brown sugar
    cyanne pepper

combine the sugar and cyanne rub on bacon cook indirect at 250-275 until it is of your liking (doneness) remove from egg and place on a cooling rack they will stifin up as they cool. do not try to eat them right off the egg you will burn your mouth..

sorry i dont have better directions that was from memory B-)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• That works very well. Very much appreciated. Didn't think of brown sugar, and I will give it a try. Thank you.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    anytime!! just take pictures and show them off when you do them..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• So I burnt the bacon (no pics). However, the pieces that I didn't burn (not much) came out great. Thank you for the help and I will post pics in the future, just didn't want the first ones to be charred/burnt bacon. Ribs came out great, but were eaten before pics could be taken.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    You have to cook at a lower temp because all the sugar will burn - as you found out. Try it indirect a little slower and lower!
  • Was low and slow, but unfortunately, so was I - and this is why I had burnt bacon. Experience is life's best teacher. :-D