Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge trouble, BGE XL

Tim (Watkinsville)
Tim (Watkinsville) Posts: 106
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
So yesterday evening I was cooking jerk chicken on my XL. I raised the lid to turn the pieces, when I tried to close the lid it got... well, wedged for lack of a better term. The lid would not close, it seemed to be out of alignment. I checked the bands, all were seated, the bolts were tight. I keep the moving parts of the band assembly sprayed down with WD 40, so I don't think I have a friction problem. The fire started flaring up and burning the chicken so I stood there and kept raising and trying to lower the dome, finally after about 3 or 4 minutes, the lid went down as normal. I was concerned that, if the lid would not close properly, the fire would not only burn up the chicken, but toast my recently reinstalled felt gaskets. As I thought about that I got really angry. The gasket replacement process is a real pain and I just did that last month. The more I thought about it, the madder I got. I paid over a thousand bucks for this XL (its the old style) and here I am with a sometimes non functional unit.
Has anyone else had problems with the dome not closing properly? I know the new model XLs have a much bigger handle and hinge system but I don't think I ought to have to shell out more money for that.

I am going out later this morning to check things over, but as I said, the bands are all seated and all the bolts are as tight as they'll go. If anyone has some advice I'd appreciate hearing it. I am very frustrated at this point.

BTW, I like this new forum. Much faster and I like being able to load pictures directly.
Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium

Comments

• No Trash
    No Trash Posts: 73
    I had the same problem. I had the hinge bolts too tight which created the binding.

Back off a little on hinge bolts... it worked for me.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    I have a glitch when opening and closing the dome to my XLG as well. I monkeyed around with the hinge bolts, making them looser (as friends had already tightened them trying to fix the problem). It did not help. I also checked to make sure the bolts were not scraping the band or edge. I'm bummed. Might take the thing apart and reassemble. Needs a new gasket anyway.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    edited August 2011
  • I'll check the hinge bolts and see if that has an effect. Thanks for the advice.
    And good luck to eenie meenie on the gasket replacement. That was a real bear of a job. I had to get help getting it put back together, its a two person job. I fried my gaskets cooking pizzas at 750 degrees. I won't do that again. Nothing over 450 from now on.

• I used to have the problem as well with my XL. Closing and one side would just stick. It seemed to only happen after the egg got real hot. Pizza Cooks, Etc.. I think its the bolts in the hinge expanding with the heat or something. I am 100% sure it is a direct result of the heat. I loosened mine and have not had the same issue at all.
  • I used to have the problem as well with my XL. Closing and one side would just stick. It seemed to only happen after the egg got real hot. Pizza Cooks, Etc.. I think its the bolts in the hinge expanding with the heat or something. I am 100% sure it is a direct result of the heat. I loosened mine and have not had the same issue at all.
    I agree with this quote 100%. Also, have you looked into a different type of gasket instead of the felt? There are many different opinions on which one to use. I went with the Rutland and have been very pleased so far.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2011
    I fried my gaskets cooking pizzas at 750 degrees. I won't do that again. Nothing over 450 from now on.
    It would be a shame to give up on pizzas and searing a good steak because of the gasket. Put on a Rutland gasket and you won't have to worry about burning a gasket up ever again at any temperature!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I probably will go with a Rutland if I have to replace the felt gasket again. Thanks for the replies, I am working on the hinge bolts this weekend.
  • funk49
    funk49 Posts: 115
    WD 40 did the trick on mine. Now It is so easy to close I'm afraid it will slam down and break!
  • As an update, I just backed off on the hinge bolts, I had tightened them down pretty good back when I was replacing the gaskets. That solved the problem so thanks to No Trash and others. I went ahead and hit the hinges with WD 40 again and the lid practically flies up now.
    I am cooking something tonight so we'll see how it does heated up but I don't anticipate problems.
    Thanks again!