Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crack in my XL Bottom.

dbacker
dbacker Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Found a crack in the base of my XL. It runs from the bottom of the vent all the way across the bottom inside and out. called Swim World Pools and Spas in Gallatin, Tn where I bought it and they said they would see what they could do, but that if the crack didn't have brown around it BGE probably wouldn't cover it. The bottom has ash on it most of the time and is still somewhat white. How in the world would the crack be brown. Should I just cut out the middle man and go straight to BGE?

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Send an email to bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com with the pics attached.
  • Deaneaux
    Deaneaux Posts: 45
    I had the same EXACT crack on one of my larges. I sent Bruce pictures and it was taken care of.
  • dbacker
    Thank You, I have sent pics to Mr. Bohannon and am waiting for reply.
  • windnsea26
    windnsea26 Posts: 159
    Deaneux, when you say it was taken care of what happened? Did they send you a new egg or did you have to weld it?
    San Diego, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    been there, its under warrantee, bring your email response with you to the dealer, mine wouldnt replace it til i handed them the email
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Deaneaux
    Deaneaux Posts: 45
    Deaneux, when you say it was taken care of what happened? Did they send you a new egg or did you have to weld it?
    In my original mail to Bruce, I explained that the place I bought the egg from closed their doors, and asked if I could deal with another place in town. He replied, said the base was covered in the warranty and asked me to print the email and bring it to the other place. I forwarded his email w/pictures to the other place, and they ordered a base that came in within a week. It pays, filling the warranty card and being on their record!!

Sorry about the late reply, hopped online during lunch and never came back...
  • Warranty card??? I just bought mine a few weeks ago and did not get a warranty card to fill out. Was it separate or with the little book?
  • I had a misfit top on my XL and all it took was a few pictures and an email to the mothership and they sent me a new top at their expense straight to my house. Great warranty and customer service.

Come visit NOLA
    Jimmy
  • Warranty card??? I just bought mine a few weeks ago and did not get a warranty card to fill out. Was it separate or with the little book?
    It is the green hard page at the front of the users manual.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Thanks Smitty!
    Jimmy, when you say you have a misfit top, how was it misfit? Mine has a slight gap at the back by the hinge and I think it has caused the gasket to get burnt in that area on the top and the bottom where the seam in the gasket is. I called and asked the dealer and he said it must have gotten flamed while lighting the Egg. I have always kept a close eye on the Egg while lighting and have never seen fire touch the felt. He told me as long as it maintains a steady temp that it wouldn't hurt anything. Could this be a result of a misfit top?
    -Andy
  • dbacker

Got the good news today. Mr Bohannon sent me an email, said take it to the dealer and they most certainly would cover it under warranty. Thanks Mr B and BGE and also a big thanks to Lit and everyone else for the info. Happy Dbacker.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Thanks Smitty!
    Jimmy, when you say you have a misfit top, how was it misfit? Mine has a slight gap at the back by the hinge and I think it has caused the gasket to get burnt in that area on the top and the bottom where the seam in the gasket is. I called and asked the dealer and he said it must have gotten flamed while lighting the Egg. I have always kept a close eye on the Egg while lighting and have never seen fire touch the felt. He told me as long as it maintains a steady temp that it wouldn't hurt anything. Could this be a result of a misfit top?
    -Andy
    Sure, gaskets get burned up all the time because of misaligned lids. My original gasket lasted about 6 months when I started doing higher temp steaks and pizzas and mine was aligned just fine. My point is, misaligned or high temps will melt those stock gaskets.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Sure, gaskets get burned up all the time because of misaligned lids. My original gasket lasted about 6 months when I started doing higher temp steaks and pizzas and mine was aligned just fine. My point is, misaligned or high temps will melt those stock gaskets.
    Mine is only 3 weeks old and there is about a 3" section along the back that spans the seam that is pretty crispy. Is it anything to worry about or should I leave it until the rest goes?