Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Temperature

gte1gte1 Posts: 376
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I decided to calibrate my thermometer. I have been going along nicely learning to cook on the egg. I did some ribs last night temp was hovering around 260 the whole time. After close to 3 hours they were way behind where they should have been. Before calibration I was cooking at higher temps, but not sure of the actual amount. I had to crank up over 300 to finish the ribs.

2 questions, how much lower is the grill temp in an indirect setup than the dome temp, and did I screw up the calibration?
George
·

Comments

• EdemitchEdemitch Posts: 196
    How did you calibrate it?
    ·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    Boiling water
    George
    ·
  • EdemitchEdemitch Posts: 196
    I usually do my ribs at 250 dome and use the 3-1-1 method with no problems. At 260 and 3 hours I would expect to see the meat starting to pull back from the tips at least a little bit. That's when I usually will foil for an hour before putting them back on for 30-60 min to firm them back up and sauce if desired.
    ·