Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Temperature

gte1gte1 Posts: 376
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I decided to calibrate my thermometer. I have been going along nicely learning to cook on the egg. I did some ribs last night temp was hovering around 260 the whole time. After close to 3 hours they were way behind where they should have been. Before calibration I was cooking at higher temps, but not sure of the actual amount. I had to crank up over 300 to finish the ribs.

2 questions, how much lower is the grill temp in an indirect setup than the dome temp, and did I screw up the calibration?
George
·

Comments

• EdemitchEdemitch Posts: 196
    How did you calibrate it?
    ·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    Boiling water
    George
    ·
  • EdemitchEdemitch Posts: 196
    I usually do my ribs at 250 dome and use the 3-1-1 method with no problems. At 260 and 3 hours I would expect to see the meat starting to pull back from the tips at least a little bit. That's when I usually will foil for an hour before putting them back on for 30-60 min to firm them back up and sauce if desired.
    ·