Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs. Primo Smokers

dangs73
dangs73 Posts: 1
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me why BGE is supposed to be better? I like the ideas of oval-shaped vs. round and also American made vs. Mexican made. I'm going to buy one soon. Thanks

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    edited August 2011
    Original message has been removed after I read the rules of this forum. My apologies.

@dangs73-What makes the BGE better than the rest is both the lifetime warranty and the forums that can help you with your questions.
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    They both will do a great job. I went with the egg for the lifetime warranty.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    I was in the same boat a year and a half ago. I went with the BGE because it's #1 for a reason. It has a much larger dealer network, more accessories, a larger, more active member base and the fact that BGE has a lifetime warranty and a very long track record of great customer service. I haven't regreted the decision and never looked back. The Primo is the only other ceramic cooker I would consider. I think they make a good product, but I made my choice based on all the above.

Best of luck to you. You will be happy either way.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    They are both good products but the BGE forum was really a huge advantage. It seems that the forum thing is really a big issue now and is in a huge turmoil. I hope that BGE will continue to support their supporters. Mike
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    edited August 2011
    Primo is a nice cooker but as others have said there is the lifetime warranty, more dealers and support for the BGE, and MANY more options for 3rd party accessories and add on products.
  • I went with the egg based on a few things first the warranty but I would have went with the Primo if I could have gotten a better price. I think both cookers are about equal and the info on this site will go for both as long as your cooking with a charcoal cooker people around here will help you out either route you go. I'd base it on which one you like better.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I tried to win a Primo last weekend but I have purchased 2 Eggs. The people and support was the difference. I hear primo owners also purchase Miata's!
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I looked at both... Liked the Primo ovals but the smaller one was too small and the big one too pricy. Both dealers offered good advice and support. Got a big discount on an Egg that was to have been used at an Eggfest. 'Fest cancelled but dealer honored the agreement. Outstanding support from forum members has cemented my loyalty. Everything from recipes to temperature control to maintenance tips (gasket replacement and dome alignment) to exhaustive comparisons of available accessories and do-it-yourself improvements (raised grid via firebrick). I've been impressed by the quickness of response. Daily, someone seeks (and receives) advice mid-cook. ("Doing my first brisket... how long will the plateau last?") And the searchable archives are like MasterCard... Priceless.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I looked at both... Liked the Primo ovals but the smaller one was too small and the big one too pricy. Both dealers offered good advice and support. Got a big discount on an Egg that was to have been used at an Eggfest. 'Fest cancelled but dealer honored the agreement. Outstanding support from forum members has cemented my loyalty. Everything from recipes to temperature control to maintenance tips (gasket replacement and dome alignment) to exhaustive comparisons of available accessories and do-it-yourself improvements (raised grid via firebrick). I've been impressed by the quickness of response. Daily, someone seeks (and receives) advice mid-cook. ("Doing my first brisket... how long will the plateau last?") And the searchable archives are like MasterCard... Priceless.
    All great points!
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Heat waves coming off a round object (BGE) will provide more even cooking than an oval object (Primo).
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Hey Tim! That is a statement that I would like to see stike talk about. :-))