Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza help

Options
TDogg46
TDogg46 Posts: 56
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I wanna try and do a pizza tonight, but I've already read so many theories/methods/horror stories to get me all confused. I'm looking for a good pizza recipe first of all..... Would actually like to make 2 pizzas for some variety. What's the best way to set up the grill for pizza? Temp/time/tips?

This is what I'm working with:
- large BGE
- porcelain grid
- plate setter
- BGE pizza stone

I don't have a pizza peel and am a rookie when it comes to making pizzas. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• TDogg46
    Options
    Also, I was gonna make some ABTs before I do the pizza, but I'm worried about how I will preheat my stone since I've read it's not a good idea to place a cool stone in a hot egg....suggestions?
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    After you start the coals, put the stone on, thats what I do, no danger of it cracking.
    Good Luck
    Bon Appetit
    Willie
  • TDogg46
    Options
    But the egg will already be hot after I do the ABTs...therefore I'd be putting a cool stone in a hot egg.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Is there a way to cook the ABTs either above or below the stone?

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    Cook the ABT's indirect using the stone as the barrier then make your pizza. I usually use the platesetter legs up with the grate on top of the legs. Then the pizza stone on the grate. I usually run the egg at about 500-550 for pizza. 5-6 min and it should be done. watch the bottom. when it get nice and brown and the cheese is bubbly its good to go. If the botom is getting done too quick use a sheet of parchment paper underneath
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    If you don't have a pizza peel, you can make the pizza on parchment paper to transfer it to the pizza stone. Just pull out the parchment from under the pie after it has cooked a couple of min. Use a couple of spatulas to take it off the stone at the end and move it to a cookie sheet, slice and enjoy.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon