Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

STOP POSTING HERE! OLD FORUM BACKUP!

Comments

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Egg Juju, I'll just say the old forum wasn't/isn't a horse and a pigeon.
    That wasnt a comment on the old forum as much as a geek comment about end users.  I have been quite clear that I think the old forum was a Sherman Tank that was being used to deliver parcels.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • A Sherman tank that gave the users what they wanted.
    The Naked Whiz
  • A Sherman tank that gave the users what they wanted.
    A certain loud clique who thinks very highly of themselves. 

My first post, but I have been watching from the sidelines.

I agree with the poster above.  The old forum is a dinosaur, but this Vanilla software is a joke.  Big Green Egg needs to use vBulletin or Simple Machines.  I run a forum with thousands of members using Simple Machines and it is very user friendly, customizable, and best of all, the software is free.

I don't understand why BGE picked this outdated software.  Come on guys do some research.  It is easy to use Simple Machines and transfer all of the existing data from here to that software.  Did I mention, it is free?

• Well, I don't consider myself part of any clique or cult or any other label, and the old forum gave me what I wanted.  This one doesn't.  If they want to try again with different software, I'll give it a try. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I agree, but just remember any new product or software must be equal to or greater than what it is replacing. If not, they fail.
  • SCGrizz
    SCGrizz Posts: 5
    I'll second the use of vBulletin. I look at several other forums on different subjects that use it and it's very easy to use and read.
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    I don't post much, but visit most every day .... however the aggravation is making it not worthwhile. Personally the old site worked fine for me. I believe I'll take a vacation from here for awhile ... See 'ya later.
  • The Original Forum is still there...
    The Naked Whiz
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited August 2011
    Post removed by user.
  • boston_stoker
    edited August 2011
    Post removed by user.
  • boston_stoker
    edited August 2011
    Post removed by user.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I don't understand why others can't post here if they want to. What does this have to do with you going away and posting and hanging where you like. Why all the hostility?
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2011
    I don't understand why others can't post here if they want to. What does this have to do with you going away and posting and hanging where you like. Why all the hostility?
    You understand that there are a few posters from the old forum who are trying to sabotage this forum. They are sending private emails to members who post here, telling them to post on the old forum. And like this example, they are "bumping" this thread to the top whatever chance they get, to "remind" people not to post here. They are badmouthing this forum whenever they get a chance, and are actively trying to put the old forum to the top of search engine rankings, going so far as to continually "search" for it on Google, and to link to it whenever & wherever possible. They are also posting the link to the old forum in this forum each & every thread they can.

Apparently they do NOT want to have 2 forums, and do NOT want the "corporate" forum to exist at all. They are willing to PAY money to keep the old forum in existence.

Personally I don't see this getting any better because of this "competition" - Just yesterday I had a feeling that both forums could "co-exist" and I had made my peace with that - but today, after seeing folks "bumping" this thread to remind folks NOT to post here, and after finding out that they were sending private emails to ppl warning them not to post here - I lost my faith that 2 forums could exist.

I think that BGE is going to have to financially support the other forum, or force them to NOT use any of the copyrighted material (the Egg name, pics, etc). As long as you have some folks thinking this is a "competition" - I don't see it getting any better.

Just my $0.02...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019

Good God, no wonder!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2011
    Hillbilly, you do realize that you just bumped this back to the top, don't you?  :)

I don't know about any efforts to sabotage this forum (no one has emailed me and I have noticed only a few links here to the other forum), but I will say this.  The other forum had its domain taken away and now it must live with a new domain name.  It has every right to try to raise its visiblity on Google in order to remain viable.  There are right ways to do it and wrong ways to do it, but in and of itself, making an effort to improve its search ranking is perfectly acceptable behavior.

As for paying for the other forum, a whole lot of people donated money including me.  I want to see it survive and I'm willing to support it.  I don't see that as evidence of anyone trying to destroy this forum.  This forum is going to do just fine because it is run by BGE.  End of story.  If there is anyone trying to sabotage it, they won't be successful and they will give up.  Call me an optimist but my vision of the future is that both forums will exist and the friction and angst will fade away.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    @Hillbilly I see that in this case someone seems to have intentionally "bumped" this topic back to the top, but the conspiracy theory doesn't fly.

I too am one of the members who PAID money to KEEP the original forum around.  I have a right to do that, I have a right to choose where I want to spend my TIME, MONEY, and EFFORTS.  That doesn't mean that I'm trying to SHUT this one down.

As far as trying to boost our recognition by search engines, I fail to see the problem with that.  The way I interpret your post to have just as much "us vs. them" as there is in the bumping of the topic to the top.

The tone of the original forum is that the two can coexist.  There are no emails or "warnings" that I am aware of in attempt to sabotage anything. But yes, I want very much to get us onto the first page of Google, because after all, I did PAY money to keep it running and don't want it to wither on the vine.  All are welcome on the greeneggers forum, but the consensus is that we wasted a lot of cooking time being bitter, and have moved on.  You should too.  Maybe this topic should die, or be removed, that's what we do on the original forum with this kind of smack talk takes place.  Then it wouldn't be so simple to move it back to the front of the line.  Best of look in all your cooks.  We hope to see you back when the dust settles.
  • Wok, I've actually sent a note to Eggzilla suggesting that any of the transition angst threads that don't have any useful info be removed, including this one.

The Naked Whiz
  • Wait, delete threads? You're just trying to kill the forum.  ;)
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2011
    @Hillbilly I see that in this case someone seems to have intentionally "bumped" this topic back to the top, but the conspiracy theory doesn't fly...
    First, there is no "conspiracy theory" - second, for those of you who wish to pay money to post on a forum, ANY forum, more power to ya. I prefer to get my information freely available, so if ANY forum expects me to pay, I'll move elsewhere. Third, if ya wanna increase the search rankings, again, more power to ya.

But to come onto another forum & continually post links to a different forum, or to send emails saying that one should post on another forum, or to send out cards at eggfests with a different forum, or to otherwise try to pull people in different directions - well, that's not cool.

Let people make their own choice.

As far as trying to say there's a "conspiracy" and that noooooobody's going around trying to pull members from one site to another -here, allow me to PROVE what I'm talking about w/ a case in point:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1140517&catid=1

And I quote: "We got to get him moved over here. Will send a note."

But, I guess it's just a big "conspiracy" and there aren't members sending "notes" to other members to get them to post in a different forum - yeah, it's NOT really happening, is it? I'm just imagining it...

As far as "seeing me back" - ummm, I haven't left - I have been, and do post on BOTH boards.

But what I don't do, is try to pull members from EITHER board to the other.

And I also don't have a "selective" memory like some folks do - in fact, another member in another forum posed the question about whether or not folks would still support BGE and he was blasted w/ posts to the effect of "nobody ever said we wouldn't support BGE" - until he posted a link showing that folks DID indeed say they were thinking about NOT supporting them...

So, I don't agree that there is NOT a movement by SOME people to try to pull others from one forum to the other, and to try to play the little innocent "babe in the woods" & suggest that it isn't happening is either naive, or not being truthful...

And Whiz, I would welcome that the admins delete all these crappy "bashing" forums - but then when I tried to re-edit my own forum to get rid of the negativity, I was bashed for it - so ya just can't win w/ some ppl... so I just decided to say "EFF" it & post anyway...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hillbilly, you seem to be blowing things way out of proportion here. 

There is nothing wrong with handing out cards at an Eggfest to promote the other forum or this forum.  I've seen a few links here but I haven't seen anyone here CONSTANTLY posting links. 

But honestly, your example of the email is really messed up.  Back before this forum was born, someone got a mini sent to Captain Chris.  When photos of the mini were being posted over here, people over there certainly thought they should be posted over there since that is where the mini originated.  Sending one email to Captain Chris asking him to post his photos on the other forum was perfectly reasonable and certainly does not constitute a conspiracy. Real messed up.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    ""As far as trying to say there's a "conspiracy" and that noooooobody's
    going around trying to pull members from one site to another -here,
    allow me to PROVE what I'm talking about w/ a case in point:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1140517&catid=1

And I quote: "We got to get him moved over here. Will send a note." ""

if the entire post is read you will see that it is in reference to Chris and the mini egg that many on the old board had helped to fund and send over to Afghanistan. because there are some that feel strongly about staying at the old board and not coming over here to read or to lurk Mickey did not want them to miss the post. no evil intened just making sure that Chris's thanks you posts was made aware to everyone. it might not have been the best choice of words but it really was that simple.
  • Mainegg - perhaps it really is that simple, I don't know... I don't know what to know any more :-(

Whiz - so because I feel that SOME folks are trying to move others from 1 forum to the other - now you're saying I'm "messed up?" That's a bit harsh... as far as blowing things "out of proportion" - I guess this whole thing has been very frustrating... but I still don't think some of the things I posted were "out of proportion"...

I'm trying to look at all sides withOUT being biased one way or the other. Some folks who are longtime older forum members might be biased, and therefore their feelings might be skewed.

I feel there's pros & cons to EACH forum - for one, I don't think it's a good idea to have to "pay to play" on the one forum. Likewise, if we cannot freely post outside links or post disparaging remarks about certain characteristics of the Egg (for instance, the felt gasket sucks & thermapen is better than BGE's instant read) - if they try to "sanitize" this site such that nobody can dare speak any ill of the Egg... then that will turn more people off of this forum than the format!!

But regardless, the point was that everyone should decide on their own which forum, or BOTH forums, or NEITHER forum, without feeling it's a "competition" or without feeling that they are somehow being a "traitor" to one or the other, and to be able to make that choice without being pressured or fed propaganda from EITHER place.

The biggest turnoff to most ppl is to be fed a bunch of propaganda and/or be "pressured" into something, or to be made to feel guilty for their choice.

I think I just need to go to lunch, because I think my blood sugar is low... but dang, this is all very frustrating!! :-(

Anyway, I'm done speaking my peace... thanks.
  • Hillbilly, what I thought was "messed up" was criticizing someone for asking Captain Chris to post his photos on the forum and for the people who were instrumental in sending the mini to him, and then claiming that there were people sending emails (plural) trying to move people from new to old. 

But I appreciate your frustration.  I just think folks on both forums should stop posting about the "other" forum and get on with it.  I posted a lot of snarky comments here and there, but I've stopped.  Maybe I was frustrated too.  Anyway, have a good lunch and come back and tell us about it.  :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    seems to me that both forums are needed and that most are over the shock and awe  and are back to just posting, still a couple with bad attitudes on both forums but for the main part most are done with the slam talk. the propagandea is easily spread because alot are just in the dark about things, today i post about bge therms and stainlees grids and find out bge has upgraded those things, maybe this forum is the place for bge to actually update folks on these types of matters. pay to play isnt right either, they were looking for donations to keep the place running til things got figured out, anyone can post there right now free of charge
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Trying to figure out why I came to the BGE Forum today.  I was thinking about BBQ not listening to a bunch of Bitching/
  • Dnorman, this isn't bitching.  This is people working things out. :) Now that you know what's in this thread, you can avoid it.....

The Naked Whiz
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I just think folks on both forums should stop posting about the "other" forum and get on with it.
    No truer words have been spoken.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • I think the new forum is much better especially for uploading pictures. Much easier!!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    This is a very helpful thread you have going here. You should hear some of the folks that can't find the original forum. Not pretty. 

Is it true Tweev is back? Sweet! lurking here might be entertaining, except you still can't see who's posted what. 

emoticon test: [-X  :))  :-B  L-)   :D

Rip
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    I just think folks on both forums should stop posting about the "other" forum and get on with it.
    No truer words have been spoken.

Agreed.

Whiz, THanks.  I think I had the two mixxed up, they don't seem all that different.

This discussion has been closed.