Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I maybe the only one...

Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited August 2011 in Forum Feedback
...but I think it is a much needed improvement over the old forum.  The old forum was dysfunctional at best.  Sorry if you disagree, but I believe it was.

I want to say Thanks! to BGE for... 

...giving us a much better forum.

...giving us a clean and simple overall look.

...giving us a forum that loads in a reasonable amount of time.

...giving us a robust set of options out of the box.

...giving us as much historical data as possible.

AND!!

...giving it to us!  

There is no monthly charge here.  There aren't annoying ads for other products.  This is gratis.  They provide servers, bandwidth, support, and everything else to give us a place to chat about barbecue and all things egg and a lot of stuff that isn't egg related.  At No Additional Charge!!

I think we should be saying Thank You instead of some of the comments I have read.  I don't mean the constructive posts about changes as this migration is not complete and the forum is not done.  The webmasters etc... need positive feedback to make this the way we want it.  Throwing the baby out with the bathwater will not solve anything.

After visiting on my netbook, my work pc, my home pc, my windows phone, and posting from most-- I am impressed.  I look forward to the future and the sharing of cooking successes and failures with those that are willing to stay positive, give thanks to our providers, and share their cooking.

OK... there is my 2cents... tell me I am wrong.  Or maybe understand what I am saying and continue to help make this what it obviously one of the best forums around.  
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    although I don't agree with some of what you posted. It's great of the BGE to provide the forum.

If the roll out is not complete, then it should be clearly indicated at all times in big red letters

It does however indicate up top that they are ready to unveil the new forum indicating that it is complete and done.

Maybe someone from BGE can chime in...
    context is important :)
  • I do agree that we should always be thankful for those folks that provide these forums to us at no charge.  Personally I don't mind banner ads and such.  Doesn't take much time to hit the page down button to get to the forum subject listings.  Those that created the new forum had to know that posting pictures of cooks is a HUGE part of the forum and probably one of the most popular things that people do here.  Not having an indication on the subject that the post contains pictures is a major blunder and needs to be fixed.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You may be lucky that everything works for you but I can't post or reply at all from my home computer. Half the time I can't post or reply from my work computer (I just had to log out and log back in to reply to you). I sent several emails so far to get my handle fixed and no response. You can't even respond to specific responses you have to call out in the thread who you are directing the reply to. I know they are working out the bugs but they should have atleast partially done this before they rolled out the site. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say a forum that loads in a decent amount of time because the old forum was much faster for me. This site freezes all the time and crashes my internet explorer when I try to reply to posts. Over half the time when I click the comments box to reply the cursor will not click in the box so I can type.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2011
    I agree- it's not that bad!  I do feel for the people that are having real issues and hopefully those get ironed out soon.  It sounds like there are definitely some browser compatibility problems.  Everything works pretty well for me on google chrome. 

However, many people are freaking out because you can't see which posts have pictures, who's online now, and you cant respond to a specific comment.  Is that REALLY that big of a deal?  People can still ask and answer questions, share ideas, recipes, and pictures (which is actually far easier)

You can also do some cool stuff we couldn't before since you have access to the html source. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jpitt57488 - can you describe or show how you were able to post that animated picture slideshow?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2011
    @Hillbilly- I use Picasa web albums and this is a feature in Picasa.  I go to the album, click "link to this album", then "embed slideshow".  A window pops up where you can set options and it let's you copy and paste the code.
    ...then, back here, I click the last button on the bottom (Show source), paste, ...and there you go

:-bd
    ...you can click the "show source" button again to switch back to normal text view and it will show up as you are typing. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.