Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon!

Options
IQthere4iam
IQthere4iam Posts: 106
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Well I decided to make my own bacon

Comments

• IQthere4iam
    IQthere4iam Posts: 106
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • IQthere4iam
    Options

So I let it rest over night in the fridge. Sliced it up this morning and made. It was a task trying to get it cut the same width and the right size, but thicker seemed to be best.

I made some with breakfast and it was GOOD. It didnt taste processed and the flavore was very subtle but really good.

It will be worth trying it again with differnt smoke and flavor.

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    That really looks good.  I have not tried to make bacon, but after your post it is a must do.  What did you use the season the bacon?

Austin Egghead
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • IQthere4iam
    Options

I used something my butcher gave me.  It was a rub that he said he used on all his bacon he makes.  I think it was just the house brand rub.

His instructions were pretty simple.

rub the bacon with rub put  in a zip lock bag for 7day then rinse off and  put on a smoker at the temp 175-200 deg for 4-5 hr  spray with apple juice and beer every 1/2 hr , then after smoking  time is up wrap in heavy duty plastic wrap and then in alumin foil then put in oven at 275 deg for hour  then put in refrigerator over nite then slice and fry and enjoy 

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Looks delicious!  I made the one from Charcuterie and it is tasty.  If you are interested in that type of cooking/smoking I can highly recommend that book.

Juju
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You need to make sure that you are using a curing agent for that first session in the fridge. There are several options including mortons tenderquick and something called Prague powder. Just google it and you will find recipes. Then it's just smoke and eat.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    I've held off on trying bacon as I don't have room in my kitchen for an electric slicer; your knife skills are exemplary and I'll have to try free-handing it.   =D>

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.