Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever try brining a beef brisket?

Options
Rauchbier
Rauchbier Posts: 24
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I was disappointed at my first foray into smoking a brisket on the BGE (cooked at 250 dome until meat probed 195, let rest for hour but meat seemed dry and tough).  As such, I've continued to research methods of preparing beef brisket and just found a recipe for smoked beef brisket that involves brining the meat first.  It sounds good and promised juicy meat, so I was wondering if anyone has brining a brisket before smoking and what your results were?  FWIW, I've previously brined thick pork chops prior to grilling and at least there the technique has yielded moist, tender, juicy, succulent results.  Any advice most appreciated!

Jim
Purcellville, VA

Comments

• CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    Yeah, brisket is tricky.  The first one I cooked was just a flat I bought at the grocery store.  It came out sort of dry and tough.

My second brisket came from a butcher and it had the flat and point.  That one came out great!  I cooked it fat side up and I'm not sure if that helped keep the meat moist, but when I sliced it the hot fat on top sort of melted down over the brisket.  So it was juicy!

Some have said that brisket is harder to cook to temp; that you should check it with a fork.  If the fork turns easily, you know it's done.  That worked for me.
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    Oops, I guess I didn't really respond to your question. I've never tried to brine a brisket...
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Yes I have brined one before. I think it helped the moisture content of the brisket. If you do brine it watch the salt in your rub. The brisket will pick up salt from the brine. Brisket can be tricky, I have learned thru experience that I start checking for doneness once they hit 185. I tend to use my temperature probe and gauge the resistance the meat has. You may have overcooked it at 195. I have found that brisket has a less forgiving window of doneness where moisture and tenderness are just right. Good luck.
  • Big Porkbutt
    Options
    I was going to try brining my brisket, (cooking now) but I was afraid if I brined it too long or too strong I would get corned beef.
    :-O

Tanks!
    Big Porkbutt
  • GadgetGeek
    Options
    I am doing mine on Tuesday the 6th with a Dizzy Pig dry rub put down on a worchestershire rub with a bit of garlic powder (not garlic salt) rubbed into the coating.  I have vacuum packed it awaiting a good time tomorrow on the 6th to bring it out and cook this FLAT ONLY brisket.    I have marked the lay-of-the brisket, so I will know how to slice it (thanks for that tip).   Tomorrow will tell if I produce weapons of war or a culinary product.

I did NOT get any response from you patient readers, but I did get a bit of information from the previous posts about BRISKET.

• BrunDog
    Options
    Timely post! I just did one today. It was a 7 lb. flat, and I was in a quandary when to start the cook for company at 4:00pm today. Some recipes said 1 hr/lb, others said up to 2, which it a fairly large variance. So I started last night at midnight, knowing I needed to stretch the cook otherwise the thing would rot in the cooler. Starting this morning was not really an option.

I cooked at 235 grate (dome said 250) as this was my second use of my Stoker, and I was not sure the temp would be reliably held below that (it was rock solid, so I think yes, easily). It REALLY plateau'd at 180 at 7:00 am. I was hesitant to foil it knowing it would finish sooner, so I flipped fat side up and gently covered it with foil. When 4 hours later it was STILL at 180, I fully foil wrapped it, and sure enough the temp climbed to 195 in 1 more hours. I then wrapped it in towels and put it in the cooler for 4 hours. It was still hot when I pulled it out to cut it.

The meat was really tasty, had nice grainy texture and beefy taste, showed a nice smoke ring, but was tearing apart when first cutting it, and it was a fairly dry. The Q sauce helped, but that was just lipstick on a cow. I think not injecting (or brining), not wrapping in foil earlier, not mopping or spritzing, the high final temp, the long cook time, and possibly the long cooler rest were all factors conspiring to make me try again for bovine perfection another soon day. So, I feel your pain!

-BD
  • Coach Danny
    Options
    I've been very lucky with my brisket; haven't cooked a dry one in forever.  While I've never brined a brisket, I've had a lot of luck with injecting them.  One of my favorite injections is Kosmo's beef injection.  I also use Myron Mixon's recipe that I picked up after taking his class last year.  I always cook full packers that I get from Restaurant Depot.  They range in size from 12-17 lbs.  I try to trim the fat cap to around 1/4 inch.  I'll inject the night before and rub it in the morning a couple hours before putting it on.  I set my XL BGE up with the plate setter and temp at 350 (I do hot and fast).  I always go fat cap down so as to protect the meat.  I put the meat probe in the thickest part of the flat.  When it reaches 160 internal (around 2 to 2.5 hours, depending on size), I will pan it on a rack and cover with foil.  At this point I lower the temperature to 325 and cook till I reach an internal temp of 200.  I usually will have around three cups of drippings in the pan.  

Over the years I've cooked briskets many different ways.  My wife, friends and family love this and think it's the best they've ever tasted.  We've done comparisons with the low/slow to the hot/fast and can't tell a difference.  I do think if you do hot/fast that injecting is a must, though.

Good luck!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2011
    Options

I need to try Kosmo's stuff.  Sounds good.

I haven't smoked but 2 briskets.  First one was a bit dry and the second one was better.  I couldn't figure out what I did differently.  I have noticed on shows where they smoke a brisket and then slice it on camera to show the juice coming out that they do not seem to let it rest very long.  I had to rest my first one at least 2 hours so I'm wondering if too long of a rest results in too much juice leaving the brisket. 

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Dense red meats don't take to brining easily, however injecting works quite well. I use a simple beef stock flavored with a bit of beer, worcestorshire, and garlic powder.

I think the major difference from one cook to another is the animal ... sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't .. just my .02¢ worth!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.