Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and sides advice

Options
MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What would you fellow eggers do as a side dish and or appetizer with ribs?[p]Jumpin in on Saturday.[p]Fixed my thingy fallin off the egg. Yippeeeeeee..[p]
Mick

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    beans2.jpg
    <p />MickeyT,
    I thought BBQ baked beans were a must with the ribs.
    While waiting for ribs to finish, I like sausage stuffed portabellos.
    sausageport.jpg[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    MickeyT,
    Fried onion rings are nice :) Just don't ask me for cooking techniques.[p]Mike "The Blazin' Ranger"

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    MickeyT,
    ribs and corn on the cob (even those from the Green Giant) are standard fare in my home. As for appetizers I love ABTs to whet the appetite for ribs to come.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Those are some great looking beans! I've got to do some ribs next week to feed about 12 people and those beans look like a great side dish. I'd only planned to have my mom make some potato salad,,,,but now I've seen your beans! I've bought a Lodge cast iron dutch oven for a project such as this. Could you share your recipe/method for the beans? Is that pulled pork I see in them or beef?[p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo[p]

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    JimboBQ,[p]That is pulled pork, but I also use burnt ends, smoked ham chunks or rib meat.[p]This is by taste but close.[p]2-28 oz cans of Bush's Orginal Baked Beans, I like to drain the juice off so the beans are thick.
    4 oz mustard
    4 oz brown sugar
    2 oz molasses
    1 medium white onion chopped up[p]I use about 12-16 oz KC Masterpice Orginal BBQ sauce.
    Go easy to taste.
    Add the meat of your choice.[p]I use a bunch of apple wood and smoke indirect with the cover off for a couple hours stirring. 300 indirect.
    Let me know.[p]Salmon has a more detailed recipe, maybe he will chime in with his.[p]Mike

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Here's mine............[p]Rick’s Blue Ribbon Barbeque Pit Beans[p]
     Two 28 oz. & one 15 ½ oz cans of Bushs original baked beans
     1 12 to16 ounce bottle barbeque sauce ( I use KC Masterpiece)
     ½ onion, finely diced
     ½ green pepper, finely diced
     2 celery stalks, finely diced
     8 tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
     About one pound brown sugar (or what ever it takes to adequately cover)
     2 tablespoons powered hickory seasoning (or bbq rub)
     2 tablespoon celery seed
     1 to 2 pounds of smoked pork or brisket
     1 aluminum half steam pan (roughly a 9x13)[p]_____________________________________________________________[p]
    Put all the above ingredients in the pan. Mix well. Cover with brown sugar, about ½ to 1 inch thick and do not stir in the brown sugar. Put in smoker for about two to three hours at 200 to 225 degrees, I use hickory wood. Let the brown sugar melt down into the beans. Stirring it in is not necessary.[p]Can be done in the oven.[p]Use one of the big industrial cans (#10) for two half-steam pans.[p][p][p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    ABT's and bacon-wrapped scallops for appetizers, jalapeno corn casserole for a side, and either peach cobbler topped with really good vanilla ice cream or 'nanner puddin' for dessert.[p]mmmmmm good..........[p]Jim
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]For apps, I like a smoked cheese assortment. Sharp cheddar, pepper jack and swiss. I use 1" thick slabs since it makes cubing them easier. Smoked bologna is also different & goes well with the smoked cheese. (I have a recipe with photos if you are interested).[p]Have you ever done foiled potatoes? Take scrubbed and unpeeled taters, slice them about 3/4" thick and parboil. Make a foil pouch add the potatoes, seasoning of choice, crushed garlic, sliced onion & butter. Seal 3 sides of the foil, add a couple of ounces of beer (or some liquid) and seal. Egg for about an hour or so @ 250° grate.[p]A cool dessert are candy bar apples. Take some McIntosh or other baking apples, peel them, cut off the top & hollow out the center. Slice up candy bars and fill the apples, replace the top, add a healthy (Hehehehe) scoop of brown sugar atop the apple and wrap in foil with the closure seam on top, and Egg (upright) for about 2 hours at 250° grate. Save the juice in the foil for a topping.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    MickeyT,
    Cole slaw, of course. Best recipe I've made is:[p]INTERSTATE BARBECUE SLAW
    1 small head cabbage, cored and finely shredded
    2 carrots, peeled and grated
    1/2 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
    2 tsp cider vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 Tbsp yellow mustard
    Salt and pepper
    Toss cabbage, carrots, and onion with vinegar, sugar and cayenne. Add mayonnaise and mustard. Add a little more mayonnaise, if necessary. Add salt and pepper. Cover and chill. Interstate BBQ, Memphis, TN.[p]The cayenne is the key. There's a little "bite" after a few seconds--Wondrous.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    MickeyT,
    how 'bout the vadalia onion pie listed in the recipies? Joe