Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What a day a difference makes. ; >)

2»

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Different - and today I don't like it (at all). Will give it some time and hope for significant changes....

I want the ability to post a response to an individual comment - not this current format of posting to the end of the line and trying to figure out whose on first. Hell, I'm having a hard time even posting this comment.

I hope Brenda is really Brenda - and is paying attention to these comments.
  • Wilco76
    Wilco76 Posts: 18
    Seems like BGE did not do much in the way of promoting the change of forum software. I am part of another forum (paying member) that went through a change in software a couple of years ago. Believe me when I say there was MUCH discussion of where the forum was headed. There was a group that was appointed to head up the change. The group was comprised of the most frequent visitors and a few technical guys. The group was responsible for heading up the direction of the forum and compiling the opinion of all the users.

They spent a few weeks finding out how everyone liked reading the posts, where they went most frequently, and basically what was important to the USER group. They spent about 3-4 months evaluating and choosing the right system based on feedback, another 6 weeks or so beta testing, and advertised the changes coming to all during the whole event. 

It got to the point of just wanting the change to get there, but in the end it all came together with no surprises and to mostly satisfied users.

I am looking forward to poking around on the site, but my first impression is not as user friendly and not really based on user feedback. The only thread I read about a new forum coming turned into a name calling, late night rant that was pointless and unproductive to the process. 

Some things I wish they would have included were a couple of sub-forums, like:
    • Currently Cooking
    • Planning a cook
    • Product Reviews
    • Off Topic
    • Etc...
    I also wish a few high quality members (frequent users with on-point posts, cool heads and discernment) could be appointed moderators. Posts that degrade into rants and don't really belong could then be moved to Off Topic or deleted (last resort) if needed. 

Hopefully BGE is diligent in watching everyone's response and willing to adapt to the loyal crowd they have in their corner. 

John
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    I have no clue if I am posting to jgwyatt or Firetruck?? I can't even start a new thread that I can figure out!! And what happened to my fajhetta post? Not real happy and hit the smillie face and nothing happened. Where is the frown?!!
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    I'm on vacation and don't even know what happened. There was a lot of discussion about changes a few months ago but I thought it was killed. If things are going to change they should end up with a better product. This new format is not better than what we had. I would rather go to a different forum than stay with this format.

Put this new format in the trash.

Johnny (Bigjohn)
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    edited August 2011

While in understand the desire to change, this seems to not offer the improvements that may have been needed.

Call me an old "fuddy duddy", but I liked the old format ALOT better.

There are some visable improvements and and I applaud the efforts, but they have been made at a very high cost

:-SS
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    A couple of things that are not as good as the last forum setup, cannot see whose logged-in, and now you have to go to the end of the posts to add a comment. Before you could just click on add comment, much easier. They had a good thing going on and they should have left well enough alone!!! :O :L
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    edited August 2011
    I am newer than most to this forum, but I like that they are trying.  The other forum offered some things that this one currently doesn't but that doesn't mean it never will.  I read the old forum in flat view, or at least that's what I thought it was called, to prevent the need to click on every reply.  I routinely opened 40 or 50 posts and read all the comments without having to click and click and click.  I am sure that the old style made perfect sense to those that used the tree to see who talked to who, but it left me as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar when the conversation got involved.  I spend my day sorting out complex relational databases and don't think anyone should need to do that to figure out who was talking to who in a forum.

A simple addition of a quote button is mandatory and I am quite stumped as to why it isn't here already.  In addition just adding something like @username or username - at the beginning of your post should immediately tell everyone who you are taking too without even quoting them.  

Apparently one can just attach a file too... I attached a simple text file as a test

Photos seem to be easy to post although it wasn't hard before...

Formatting options are similar to options I see on other editors.

Smileys abound, but I liked the green ones better... :D :-) :-O :-bd

Change is not always good and some will like it while others won't.  I know this is a good group of folks and I hope everyone gives it a chance before pronouncing it a disaster.  I for one am looking forward to having a better forum experience here as I do on other forums and I truly hope my comments can be viewed as constructive.

P.S.  A preview post button would seem to be expected as well.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • funk49
    funk49 Posts: 115
    edited August 2011
    wow. #-o  I'm trying to give it a chance. It's not easy. I do like the fact that the latest reply takes the thread back to the top. I don't like the fact that "done, and error on the page keep flashing and alternating at the bottom of the page.