Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a great recipe for tuna steaks? I imagine I should sear like a regular steak but I am unsure about about time.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big Cat, ya'all hang loose as your gonna get swamped. I am no help as I have never grilled tuna..but there are some big guns here that have..Good luck
    C~W[p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Big Cat,[p]Assuming you have sushi-quality tuna, get the steaks cut thick - say 2 inches - and sear for 4 minutes a side. A little longer if you don't want it raw in the middle...but tuna dries out very easily if overcooked, & it overcooks in a flash.[p]I love this recipe from the Jamisons' 'Born to Grill' - marinate the steaks for 1-4 hours in a mix of 1 T fresh lemon juice, 1 1/2 T vegetable oil, 1 1/2 tsp coarse-ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp coarse salt. Serve with horseradish cream: 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 T prepared horseradish, 2 tsp grated mild onion, 1/4 tsp coarse salt.[p]Little Cat

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556

Make that 1 1/2 tsp oil in the marinade.[p]Dang, C~W, it's catching!

• Cat,[p]Thanks Cat sounds great. You haven't steered us wrong yet.
    We'll be giving it a try.[p]Big Cat

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Big Cat,
    Here is a few you can try,i have been happy with most of the recipes from this site.
    YB

[ul][li]Tuna Recipes[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cat, yesh it is..and now who is the genius..Your fantastic!
    C~W[p]

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Big Cat,
    Coat the raw tuna steak with ground pepper, Grains of Paradise, or sesame seeds or a combination. I sear it on a preheated dry skillet. The Grill Topper would work on the Egg. Just a few minutes per side, depending on the thickness. You want it pretty rare on the inside. It's just like filet mignon. Slice it thin, like London broil, and serve it on a bed of baby spinach, scallions, and sliced mushrooms with a dipping sauce made of soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, rice wine vinegar and a few drops of sesame oil. It is DIVINE. Have fun.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl