Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Does anyone have a CSA subscription???

Harleydog77Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited 11:54AM in EggHead Forum
My wife and I subscribed to a CSA this year. It stands for community supported agriculture. We paid a farmer a 1 time fee for the year this spring. Once the farmer started harvesting we received a share of his crops each week. So far it has been awesome! We found our farmer on this website

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/M14581

This week we got onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, jalapenos, garlic, beets, and green beens. All of these veggies are locally grown and of excellent quality. I will most definitely do this again. It is nice because it forces us to eat more veggies. It also offers a nice opportunity to try to cook more veggies on my egg (which I don't do enough of). Tonight I roasted some beets, and sauteed the greens with onion, garlic, EVOO, red wine viniger,salt and pepper. The beet greens were awesome. I will make them again for sure.
·

Comments

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,406
    We have that here also. Glad to hear it is getting you guys out of the box in eating and cooking. That's great! Some of the veggies will be freezable to save for the winter months.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • I would like to do some pickling of some of these veggies also. It is a very good value when you consider what you get for the money.
    ·
    You got that right. They do all the work, plus you support the local farms!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    ·
  • Yeah it is a win/win all the way around. My wife is pregnant so the more veggie she eats the better for the baby. I have to believe that the locally grown veggies from the CSA have far less in the way of harmful chemicals compared to the grocery store.
    ·
    Bingo!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    ·