Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sittin' Chicken Temp?

LongrifleLongrifle Posts: 130
edited 1:10AM in EggHead Forum
I have one of those sittin' chicken thingies. The instructions call for 250 degrees. That makes no sense to me. I roast chickens all of the time in the oven, I have an All Clad roasting pan with an attachment that has small reservoir that holds liquid and the bird hangs suspended over the roasting pan. And I have cooked those at 425 degrees, makes for a nice crisp skin and I put carrets, red taters, and onions in the pan portion and the drippens' cook them to perfection. So would I be completly out of my little pea brain to cook the yard bird at 425 degees with the sitten chicken? Just wondering before I turn a chicken into cinders. Thanks (as you can tell I am not known for my spelling :laugh: )
·

Comments

• Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    I usually do mine at 375 on top of a cast iron pan, real happy with the results( I can't spell either).

DSC_5082.jpg
    ·
  • 350 to 400 here and no complaints so far.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Longrifle, I say go for it. Just keep an eye on it.

I can't spell either but, I do know how to check my spelling. ;)Tim
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I am going to do one at 600° in the next while.

250° extreme raised grid.
    chicken1.jpg

325° - 350°
    chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

400°
    chick400.jpg

500°
    chick500.jpg

When the bird is cooked to 165° the breast is always nice an moist on any of the cooks.
    chicken3.jpg

I am going to do a 600° test in the next while.

GG
    ·
  • LongrifleLongrifle Posts: 130
    Thanks I feel better on my method now. Do you check the temp in the breast like a turkey? And 2fategghead I guess there is spell check on this here fourm I am to simple minded to find. :silly: My shame is never ending :evil: LOL have a great night. Out here
    Mac
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Mac, I can't spell for nothing. I also have poor grammar. There is no spell check on the forum but my browser has a spell check that I use. It don't matter to me if you don't check your spelling. You mentioned it first.

Hope your chicken comes out great. ;) Tim
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Longrifle, firefox has a spell checker and I believe a grammar checker, which I obviously don't use. Chrome and I believe IE9 has a spell checker also. Folks shouldn't be using older versions of IE.

GG
    ·