Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Wok Cook

tsheehan7tsheehan7 Posts: 105
edited 8:48AM in EggHead Forum
Fired up my Ceramic Grill Store carbon steel wok on Saturday and tried my hand at my favorite ethnic food. I started with fried rice:
friedrice.jpg
Next came the stir-fried veggies (frozen from a bag):
justveggies.jpg
Then went the spicy honey chicken (which I cooked before the veggies and pulled off until the veggies were done:
veggiesandchicken.jpg
On the plate it looks like this:
platedmeal.jpg

All in all it was a good outcome. The American in me screams for something fried though, so the next round might require the cast iron skillet first for the chicken. Unless you can deep fry in a wok????
·

Comments

• SlickSlick Posts: 382
    Great start! As for deep frying in a wok, I'd be careful about doing it on the egg. An oil spill could be a real disaster. I've done some great chicken dishes where I rolled the chicken pieces in corn starch and fried them in a skillet inside, then added them to the veggies cooked in the wok. Turned out super!

Have fun with it! Probably 1/3 of my egg cooks are now done with the wok!

Ken
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,790
    Stir fry looks great, nice first run with the wok. ;)

Here is a recent thread about deep frying.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1130436&catid=1#
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    Hollin' bout huh, egga what!?  Huh, give a Fock egga what!?
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Nice Job, I'm just getting into "EggWoking" myself, really enjoying it :) :)
    ·
  • PattyOPattyO Posts: 882
    At home, in my kitchen, I deep fry in my wok all the time. It's the only pan I use for deep fry. I also make chili, etc, in my wok. Haven't tried it on the egg yet.
    ·
  • Great job - looks very very good!! Maybe not "deep fry" but you can certainly add a bit more oil and get a similar effect.
    ·