Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stoker alarms?

potterlupotterlu Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

I got a Stoker about a week and a half ago. I really like the control it affords me, but the one nagging issue I have is: how do I get this thing to fire off alarms that I actually notice? If I'm doing an overnight cook, and I'm sleeping, the alarm on the Stoker itself isn't going to wake me up, and neither is a screen that just turned itself red on my computer. Just curious as to how people have dealt with this issue? Thanks in advance.

Luke
·

Comments

• Rusty RoosterRusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    A baby monitor next to the stoker with the receiver next to your bed is a easy fix & works. ;)
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

As Rusty Rooster said and/or

Turn the speakers on and the volume up on your computer. The alarms on my computer will wake up the whole household. This is using Amir Software as I seldom use the default screen.

You could change the sound clip to anything you want.

Nevertheless, check the settings on either program.

GG
    ·
  • Kent, that's one of those nuances of the Stoker that you will have to teach me about when you give me mine at Christmas. Man, I can't wait!! B)
    ·

You are going to enjoy that free Stoker but you may have some heartburn with the s/h costs. With the fuel surcharge for getting to the post office, special tape and box I am going to use as I see it now that s/h is approaching 4 to 5 C-Notes. :laugh:

GG
    ·
  • Kent, no need to have it delivered in a limo......a plain old UPS brown truck will do the trick. Just make sure you order it early enough, in that I see that the units are on back order......and I know you wouldn't want to see me in tears on Christmas morning.....right? :blink:
    ·

Heck UPS ground I wasn't going that fancy, good old USPS media.

·
  • Look, Kent.....not a problem, provided you get the order in this afternoon.....

Wutausay, friend? We'll call it "Christmas in August."

Won't that be fun?
    ·
  • potterlupotterlu Posts: 14
    Hey all,

Thanks for the heads up on Amir's software; I'd never heard of it before, and just downloaded it. I'll see what I can see. Cheers.

Luke
    ·
  • if you build you fire properly (clean out the firebox, lay large pieces of lump in the bottom of the firebox, then smaller pieces--load to near the top of the fire ring) chances are VERY slim that your fire will go out.

i have done dozens of overnight cooks (with the stoker in control) and have never had a fire go out.

ken
    ·

That software really puts the bells and whistles on the stoker.

GG
    ·

Even with a powered vent system one can get a vertical burn, first hand experience. I use using my DigiQII light in 1 place. The fire burned vertical and ran out of lump. It hasn't happened on the Stoker but that is probably because after that I light in several places.

GG
    ·
  • Ken, that's why I want the Stoker!!
    ·

Stoker, DigiQII or bare one can get a vertical burn.

Kent
    ·