Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stoker alarms?

potterlupotterlu Posts: 14
edited 12:16AM in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

I got a Stoker about a week and a half ago. I really like the control it affords me, but the one nagging issue I have is: how do I get this thing to fire off alarms that I actually notice? If I'm doing an overnight cook, and I'm sleeping, the alarm on the Stoker itself isn't going to wake me up, and neither is a screen that just turned itself red on my computer. Just curious as to how people have dealt with this issue? Thanks in advance.

Luke
·

Comments

• Rusty RoosterRusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    A baby monitor next to the stoker with the receiver next to your bed is a easy fix & works. ;)
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

As Rusty Rooster said and/or

Turn the speakers on and the volume up on your computer. The alarms on my computer will wake up the whole household. This is using Amir Software as I seldom use the default screen.

You could change the sound clip to anything you want.

Nevertheless, check the settings on either program.

GG
    ·
  • Kent, that's one of those nuances of the Stoker that you will have to teach me about when you give me mine at Christmas. Man, I can't wait!! B)
    ·

You are going to enjoy that free Stoker but you may have some heartburn with the s/h costs. With the fuel surcharge for getting to the post office, special tape and box I am going to use as I see it now that s/h is approaching 4 to 5 C-Notes. :laugh:

GG
    ·
  • Kent, no need to have it delivered in a limo......a plain old UPS brown truck will do the trick. Just make sure you order it early enough, in that I see that the units are on back order......and I know you wouldn't want to see me in tears on Christmas morning.....right? :blink:
    ·

Heck UPS ground I wasn't going that fancy, good old USPS media.

·
  • Look, Kent.....not a problem, provided you get the order in this afternoon.....

Wutausay, friend? We'll call it "Christmas in August."

Won't that be fun?
    ·
  • potterlupotterlu Posts: 14
    Hey all,

Thanks for the heads up on Amir's software; I'd never heard of it before, and just downloaded it. I'll see what I can see. Cheers.

Luke
    ·
  • if you build you fire properly (clean out the firebox, lay large pieces of lump in the bottom of the firebox, then smaller pieces--load to near the top of the fire ring) chances are VERY slim that your fire will go out.

i have done dozens of overnight cooks (with the stoker in control) and have never had a fire go out.

ken
    ·

That software really puts the bells and whistles on the stoker.

GG
    ·

Even with a powered vent system one can get a vertical burn, first hand experience. I use using my DigiQII light in 1 place. The fire burned vertical and ran out of lump. It hasn't happened on the Stoker but that is probably because after that I light in several places.

GG
    ·
  • Ken, that's why I want the Stoker!!
    ·

Stoker, DigiQII or bare one can get a vertical burn.

Kent
    ·