Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Think I Ruined My Butt -- Is it SAFE??

EggLuverEggLuver Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 5lb butt on last night. Went to bed at 1:30 with dome at 220 and meat at around 63. Woke up at 7:00 with dome at 135 and meat at 1:31. Opened the lower vent and temp went up to 300 (dome). I closed it a little and got it at 235 right now, meat is at 167.

Have a completely ruined this butt??? My first worry was the quality of the finished meat, but since I've been searching the forum for similar situations I've noticed folks talking about a "Danger Zone". Now I'm worried about the safety of eating it. I'm planning to cook it to about 200 internal. Wouldn't that kill any bacteria?

Please HELP! Thanks.

Comments