Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Smoke Success, Pic Heavy

Options
Longrifle
Longrifle Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSCF0331.jpg

DSCF0339.jpg

DSCF0343.jpg

DSCF0348.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

[ing]http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac220/1longrange/BIG GREEN EGG COOKS/DSCF0354.jpg[/img]

DSCF0346.jpg

My first Boston Butt mission was a success!! I do have a few questions. Which I was uable to ask due my DSL being down. My Luck. LOL When you start the fire where do you all put your wood. I had no smoke and had to disassamble the setup and put wood on the coals. Volia, I had smoke then. I also read on here that for low and slow to start the lump in several places,I did not do that. Should I? The second question is temp. on the meat, I pulled at 195 according to my remote thermometer. (did not use Thermapen in various places) Some have said pull at 205 (I read today) was I wrong, to pull then? The bone pulled clean and the meat was tender and tasty. Although the meat in the thinner section was more tender than the thickest. The BGE was very easy to keep the temp right at 250. I was very surprised how simple it was. Had it cooking by 4:30 PM and went to sleep at 11:00 checked it at 4:00 AM and it had dropped to 220. Unbelievable :P Put it on at 4:35 PM and it came off at 11:15 AM. Another surprise was the amount of lump left in the egg. I bet I had over half left.

With this cook, I did a smoked cabbage and 5 bean baked bean caserole. The BB was rubbed down with mustard and BBQ rub. Put Burbuon and apple jucie in the drip pan (just cause I like that) and smoked the bunch with cherry chunks. All were good. This BGE is amazing.

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Looks great... glad it turned out so well - if the bone has turned loose, I pull it - regardless of temp... nice pics
    Kent Madison MS
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It ALL looks great.I LOVE the stuffed cabbage!If the bone pulled clean it was done.I usually pull em around 195,it's not exact.The clean bone test works.I doublewrap in HDAF and let it rest an hour or two before pulling.If you need to hold it longer,put the wrapped butt in a dry cooler and stuff old newspaper or towels in there with it to fill the void space.You can hold it 4 hours or more.I like to mix the wood throughout the lump before I light it.That way as the fire traves,it finds new wood all during the cook.I light in one place.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    It all looks very good Longrifle, I put chips or chunks throughout my lump,I light in one place, for PB 195ish is good, if the bone came out clean, it was ready!!
    the cabbabge is awesome, gonna have to try that!!
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Looks really good.

For your questions...

For overnight cooks, I've lit in one place and two places before. One place (dead center) uses less lump, in my experience. However lighting in two (or more) places seems (from empirical evidence) to make it easier to maintain a steady temperature...

For the wood chips/chunks, just mix it in with the lump as you load the egg. Personally I do like 4 layers of lump, drizzling chips/chunks of wood inbetween each layer. So you'll get a nice steady stream of smoke throughout the entire cook.

For pulling temp... as always it's just a rough guide. If the bone pulled clean and easy, then the butt was done :D I pull mine at 195F, and haven't had any undercooked butts yet. Some swear by 205F. In my opinion, try both and see what you like best. :D
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Hoss already said what I was going to say so I'll just say - GREAT COOK!

Congrats on the first of what I am sure will be many! Enjoy the leftovers at lunch tomorrow and try not to smirk while your coworkers are eating fast food burgers :laugh: :P
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Looks like ya did it, Longrifle!! Congrats.
  • Longrifle
    Options
    Thanks to all. Tomorrow I am feeding my coworkers. Hope they like it.
  • Longrifle
    Options
    transversal wrote:

You folks that helped me out should get most of the credit I just listened to your advice. So thanks........ owe you one. :):) :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Bravo, looks eggcellent! My wife's birthday party is this weekend, and she requested pulled pork...so that is in my near future as well. :)
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    If your co-workers do not like that pork, you need new co-workers! That pork looks great.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Longrifle
    Options
    transversal wrote:

You folks that helped me out should get most of the credit I just listened to your advice. So thanks........ owe you one. :):) :laugh: :laugh:
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Options
    Looks Like 195 done the job. also like the cabbage topped with bacon gotta try that now. This forum is gonna cost me,but it is well worth it.MMM MMM GOOD stuf on here.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • TheHandleGuy
    Options
    Congrats dude! You have just figured out why people by Eggs. Set the temp and walk away. I have cooked so many butts and briskets overnight. Get the temp stabilized and go to bed. I don't have a stoker and don't need one (I want one, though!)

When the bone is wiggily it's done. Pork shoulders are pretty hard to screw up. They are good and everbody loves the result. One of my favorites for a large group.

Nice job!! Looks awesome.

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    Options
    Pork fat rules! Looks great, would love details on the cabbage. Congrats!
    Paula West Texas
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Looks good. Sometimes its done at 195, sometimes 205...

Mix the wood throughout the lump (if you don't want smokewood for the next cook only mix in the top 1/2 - 1/3)

best way to reheat, vacuum seal, then heat up in a crockpot full of water. I am doing this tomorrow from pork cooked Friday night/Sat morning for my coworkers as well.

Nice cook.
  • Longrifle
    Options
    The pulled pork was big hit amoung the coworkers. Gotta love the BGE.
  • Longrifle
    Options
    IQ2 wrote:
    Pork fat rules! Looks great, would love details on the cabbage. Congrats!

The Cabbage is easy. Core a meduim cabbage. I like to go about 3/4 of the way through it. Cut up 6 or seven pieces of bacan and toss in a medium chopped up onion, cook until the onions are soft, drain the drippin's off and rub down the outside of the cabbage with the drippin's. Mix some BBQ with the bacon and onion mix, till it right. Get some butter and put in the bottom of the hole and add some the BBQ,bacon, Onion Mix then layer butter and the mix until it's full. And because I like bacon I always layer it accross the top.

To make it stand I make a circle out of foil and set it on that, works perfert. If you put it with a long slow cook most likely it needs 4 hours to be really tender. In two you can eat it but you need a knife. I love the things but my Wife would prefer I eat them outside. LOL :evil:
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Looks fabulous to me! Love the cabbage.