Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Sirloin Tip (Can it be pulled??)

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, folks. I have been using a Weber for the last 20 years. Got the Egg 'bout a month ago. Love it! Last wk end, did the pulled pork thing (enjoyed watching the egg cook for 27 hrs!)[p]Can I do something like that w/ a Whole Sirloin Tip? What is the secret? Should I bring it up to 200 degrees before I pull it off the egg, or should I use a lower target? [p]I have REALLY enjoyed eavesdropping on your conversations![p]
Thanks,[p]St. Clair
North Carolina

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Saint, I would stick with pork and treat beef as a roast the regular way..even in a BGE.
    Especially a real sirloin tip...just my opinion and welcome to the forum..Great cooks here..and more are coming.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• I'd take a sirloin tip off at rare to med-rare. It's too good a cut to take to well done (my opinion).

• Char-Woody
    George, Thanks George, I couldn't have said it better, and I didn't.. I agree totally..C~W[p]
  • Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the advice. I would not have thought about trying the pulled approach either with beef-- but my sister, who spent several yrs. in Columbia SA tells me that pulled beef is a very popular dish down there. Of course, she has no hint as to how it is prepared...[p]Saint

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Saint,[p] Shredded beef is popular in many Latin American cuisines. I have done pulled beef in the BGE and enjoyed it a lot. Works great as filler for burritos and as meat in chili. You can afford to get a cheaper piece of meat than you would use for slicing because you're taking it up a higer temperature slowly giving the connective tissues a chance to break down. If you have "Smoke and Spice," check out the recipe in there for tequila-soused beef burritos. That recipe has you steam the meat in foil after you smoke it (cuts down on the cooking time) so if that bothers you, go low and slow instead.[p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Saint, I have done Brisket in that fashion and if that is what you wish to do with it, then do it exactly as you would for pulled pork. When you finish up with a 200F degree deep internal temperature, then tightly wrap it in foil, and cloth towel to insulate it, and put it in a ice chest to let it rest for at least 30 minutes. Then take it out and it will fall apart. I over cooked a brisket doing this and it too..was a pulled beef texture.
    Good luck..
    Char-Woody[p]

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Saint,
    Good thinking----gave me an idea----going to take a chuck roast this weekend, add some chile powder, ground cumin, paprika, oregano, and some mole and then do the low and slow til it gets up to pulling temp and then do the Big Stuff!!!
    Thanks again,[p]Kona Tim