Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Publix Greenwise lump on sale

Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Most of you know this is RO lump in Publix bags. Today's insert has it $4.49 for an 8.8lb bag. Not shabby!

Comments

• The Lump in my Greenwise bag is nothing at all like Royal Oak...It is much more dense and burns a lot longer.. I think Publix made a change early this year because thats when I noticed the difference-last year there is no doubt it was the same.... I bought a bag of Royal Oak from Walmart today just to compare and they are definitely not the same.
  • I ran out of Royal Oak on Thursday and had to pick up some greenwise lump which happened to be on sale. It is nothing like Royal Oak. When I started my fire with it I thought something was wrong since it smelled like coal was burning in my egg and looked like a fireworks show with all the sparking. Publix generally does a great job with their private label but I wish they would give in and sell Royal Oak lump. It would save me the trip to Wal-Mart since that is the only thing I will buy from them.
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    I noticed the change early this year too. Deff not RO anymore! I quit buying the Greenwise, it takes too long to burn clean now. I think it's a Cowboy type lump now. Like alot of others here lately I have had to search for RO. 2/3 of the stuffmarts quit carrying RO around here.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I did notice the binding tape on the bags of Greenwise went from red to green a few months ago [red used to be the "made in USA tipoff], but I can't say I have noticed much difference in the product.
    As we have discussed on here recently, I feel that RO from Wally World is better simply because it is sitting on a pallet, not shoved in a store rack. Less manhandling, less damage, bigger pieces :lol:
  • I tried the Greenwise lump last week and was not too impressed. It white smoked for a very long time and I thought it gave an extra smokey taste to the food.