Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Publix Greenwise lump on sale

CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
edited 3:42PM in EggHead Forum
Most of you know this is RO lump in Publix bags. Today's insert has it $4.49 for an 8.8lb bag. Not shabby!
·

Comments

• The Lump in my Greenwise bag is nothing at all like Royal Oak...It is much more dense and burns a lot longer.. I think Publix made a change early this year because thats when I noticed the difference-last year there is no doubt it was the same.... I bought a bag of Royal Oak from Walmart today just to compare and they are definitely not the same.
    ·
  • I ran out of Royal Oak on Thursday and had to pick up some greenwise lump which happened to be on sale. It is nothing like Royal Oak. When I started my fire with it I thought something was wrong since it smelled like coal was burning in my egg and looked like a fireworks show with all the sparking. Publix generally does a great job with their private label but I wish they would give in and sell Royal Oak lump. It would save me the trip to Wal-Mart since that is the only thing I will buy from them.
    ·
  • BillHillBillHill Posts: 109
    I noticed the change early this year too. Deff not RO anymore! I quit buying the Greenwise, it takes too long to burn clean now. I think it's a Cowboy type lump now. Like alot of others here lately I have had to search for RO. 2/3 of the stuffmarts quit carrying RO around here.
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I did notice the binding tape on the bags of Greenwise went from red to green a few months ago [red used to be the "made in USA tipoff], but I can't say I have noticed much difference in the product.
    As we have discussed on here recently, I feel that RO from Wally World is better simply because it is sitting on a pallet, not shoved in a store rack. Less manhandling, less damage, bigger pieces :lol:
    ·
  • I tried the Greenwise lump last week and was not too impressed. It white smoked for a very long time and I thought it gave an extra smokey taste to the food.
    ·