Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking on a BGE

Options
zwvirtual
zwvirtual Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All of my experience with smoking has been on an offset smoker. About a month and half ago I got a BGE. When I got it I got a plate setter for indirect heat. Now for for smoking I've always have used a water pan underneath my meat to catch drippings and for stabilizing the heat. Is it still needed for the BGE or can I go without a water pan? If I don't use a waterpan what should use to collect the drippings?

zw

Comments

• asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I've done both, not much difference with water IMHO. I wrap the platesetter in foil so it doesn't get yucky. I like to keep a foil pan to catch the juices.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I and I think most others will tell you to use just a drip pan, no water.
    For a lot of cooks, chicken wings for instance, I just use the alum throw-away pizza pans available at any supermarket. They fit just fine on the platesetter.
    I do have better ones with higher sides for things like butts where there is going to be a lot of grease. I line those with foil.
    If you are cooking something that you want to save the grease for later use just raise the drip pan off the platesetter a little bit so that it dosen't get quite as hot. Some balls of foil will work :):)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Just noticed it is your first post, Welcome Aboard! :cheer: :cheer:
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I almost never use liquid. I have a pan that I kind of shaped to fit nicely on the plate setter. I line it and the plate setter with foil, it just makes cleanup easier. I also raise the pan off the platesetter with 4 stacks of 3 pennies. This helps to keep the drippings from burning in the pan.

Welcome aboard :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I am new (about 7 months) to BGE and spent too many years "off the reservation". Here's what I have learned by searches and doing regarding smoking (which is 80-90% of what I use it for). Drip pan for sure and no need for water. I use the 3 BGE feet and and a ball of foil to raise the pan off the plate setter if I want to recycle the drippings.
    Best smoking temp is around 250*F on the dome-this will give you around 220*F at the cooking grid. You can go lower but temperature control can be problematic-although I have not had any issues.
    Wood chips or chunks-your call. Do a search and at the end of the day I'm convinced it doesn't make any difference.
    Lighting the fire-I have always had success with one spot, bottom of the lump around dead center then build up the lump.
    You can never have too much lump-long cooks-just load the lump well into the fire ring.
    Several related sites have great info-
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    Welcome and enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.