Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

internal pork butt temp

eggsrgreat
eggsrgreat Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying my second butt. The first was a waste. Totally dry. What does everyone think the internal temp needs to be for good pulled pork. The last one I did I took off at 190 and it was over done.

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Usually take mine to 195-200 and if it's a bone-in... the bone should start to slide off the meat... Each one cooks different...
    Kent Madison MS
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Overdone at 190° either your IT therm is inaccurate or your expectaions are wrong..pulled pork should get to 195-200 internal.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    The first one I did was small. Maybe that had something to do with it. I'm going to read the article cookn biker sent. Thanks.
  • TrueTex
    TrueTex Posts: 48
    Cooking my first pork butt today. Its a 10 pound Pork Shoulder Blade Boston roast. Just put it on the LGE at 250. Any chance it will be done in 10-11 hours. I have heard they cook from 90 mins to 2 hours per pound to hit 200 degrees. Should I bump up the temp to 275 or 300? Thanks...
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    It probably going to be closer to 1.5 hrs/lb. If you need it done sooner, better push that temperature up to 275 at least and 300 to finish at the time you want.
  • When attempt to lift the butt the bone will try to pull away from the meat. No thermometer needed. Each piece of meat cooks differently.
  • TrueTex
    Thanks all for your advice. Much appreciated. So far so good. Any secret to pulling the pork butt apart once the cook is done? And should I let the roast rest a bit? I was not planning on checking the internal temp until after 8 hours of cooking time.

Thanks again...
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Resting 2-4 hours wrapped in HDAF, wrapped in towel and put in cooler. When done grab two forks and pull away!
  • TrueTex
    Thanks much. Temp at 171 already after 7 hours. Hopefully will hit 195 during the next 2-3 hours. Looks awful good...used Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust for the first one. Have most of the others too...
  • TrueTex
    Well...this cook turned out awesome. Put the pork butt on the LGE (indirect - 275 dome temp) at 8:50 am and it hit 195 degrees internal at 6:15 pm. Pulled the meat off the egg and wrapped in HDAF and a towel for about 50 minutes in a cooler. Pulled the pork apart and it was unbelievably tender and moist. Also made some of the Naked Whiz North Carolina sauce and some fennel cole slaw to to with it. What a meal...thanks to all for the support provided. First butt was a huge success...simply eggcellent!
  • 1st5
    1st5 Posts: 14
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    yes...250 dome minimum but to get it done quicker 275-300 won't hurt it...if it gets to dark then tent it with foil.
  • crghc98
    nope...190 was actually probably underdone. take it to 200+ or when the bone pulls freely from the meat. you will have to take it off the grid with 2 hands or it will fall apart....I know it is a little goes against what we've been taught but cook it longer.
  • crghc98
    heavy duty aluminum foil....
  • mroehl
    mroehl Posts: 16
    I agree heat miser 190 just doesn't cut it I have experimented with 2 butts one I cooked to 200 the other 190 the 200 I could not get off the Egg in one piece. The 190 picked up fine and pulled fine but the extra 10 made the 200 better....allot better in my opinion.