Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first smoke

Longrifle
Longrifle Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first long smoke on Sat. Pork butt. I should fill up with lump half way up the fire ring. Get the temp stable at someplace between 225 and 250. Add the place setter, drip pan with Apple juice and Jim beam. Let all of that preheat before putting the meat on. Oh, putting cherry chunks in the lump. Watch the temp and wait for the alarm when pork is at 190. Sound good? I will post pic. Thanks

Comments

• Eggcellent
    Eggcellent Posts: 69
    Can't wait to see the pictures. Boston Butts are still my favorite.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I would treat that alarm as a reminder to confirm tendenderness. (you will most likely need to take the internal temp higher)

Poke it in a couple of places and also wiggle the bone to see if it's loose, they are the real indicators of doneness. Plan on using both hands to remove the butt from the cooker.

7c583015.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    The butt was great and I also did a smoked cabbage. When my DSL starts working again I will post pics, lessons learned and new questions for you all ;) but right I am doing this on my phone and my fingers are to fat for the touchscreen. Don't laugh......not funny :laugh:
  • zwvirtual
    zwvirtual Posts: 3
    I'm doing almost the exact same thing. Injected with apple juice and basted a couple of times with it. Still have a few hours before it's ready.

zw