Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoking on a BGE

zwvirtualzwvirtual Posts: 3
edited 11:10PM in EggHead Forum
All of my experience with smoking has been on an offset smoker. About a month and half ago I got a BGE. When I got it I got a plate setter for indirect heat. Now for for smoking I've always have used a water pan underneath my meat to catch drippings and for stabilizing the heat. Is it still needed for the BGE or can I go without a water pan? If I don't use a waterpan what should use to collect the drippings?

zw

Comments

• asianflavaasianflava Posts: 313
    I've done both, not much difference with water IMHO. I wrap the platesetter in foil so it doesn't get yucky. I like to keep a foil pan to catch the juices.
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I and I think most others will tell you to use just a drip pan, no water.
    For a lot of cooks, chicken wings for instance, I just use the alum throw-away pizza pans available at any supermarket. They fit just fine on the platesetter.
    I do have better ones with higher sides for things like butts where there is going to be a lot of grease. I line those with foil.
    If you are cooking something that you want to save the grease for later use just raise the drip pan off the platesetter a little bit so that it dosen't get quite as hot. Some balls of foil will work :) :)
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Just noticed it is your first post, Welcome Aboard! :cheer: :cheer:
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,217
    I almost never use liquid. I have a pan that I kind of shaped to fit nicely on the plate setter. I line it and the plate setter with foil, it just makes cleanup easier. I also raise the pan off the platesetter with 4 stacks of 3 pennies. This helps to keep the drippings from burning in the pan.

Welcome aboard :)
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 8,217
    I am new (about 7 months) to BGE and spent too many years "off the reservation". Here's what I have learned by searches and doing regarding smoking (which is 80-90% of what I use it for). Drip pan for sure and no need for water. I use the 3 BGE feet and and a ball of foil to raise the pan off the plate setter if I want to recycle the drippings.
    Best smoking temp is around 250*F on the dome-this will give you around 220*F at the cooking grid. You can go lower but temperature control can be problematic-although I have not had any issues.
    Wood chips or chunks-your call. Do a search and at the end of the day I'm convinced it doesn't make any difference.
    Lighting the fire-I have always had success with one spot, bottom of the lump around dead center then build up the lump.
    You can never have too much lump-long cooks-just load the lump well into the fire ring.
    Several related sites have great info-
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    Welcome and enjoy-
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker