Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first low and slow with baby backs

Options
Sounds2Good
Sounds2Good Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I mentioned in another post Friday I attempted my first long cook using Cosco baby back ribs. I cooked three racks, each cut in half on my BGE rib rack. I attempted to use Carwash Mike's method. I didn't mist the ribs as he suggested but given my results I might try that next time. We also had some trouble pulling off all of the membrane on the "back" of the ribs, we got as much off as we could without spending all day on the procedure.

I had some trouble keeping the egg's temperature below 250 degrees during the first phase of the cook. This was in part due to my lack of experience and I think in part due to the very hot day in the Northern Virginia region Friday.

We used Pork Barrel rub on the ribs, with French's yellow mustard as the base. When it was time to sauce them, we used Pork Barrel sauce too. I like this sauce because it is tangy with a little heat and very little sweetness.

After five and-a-half hours we pulled the ribs with an internal temperature above 180 degrees. The ribs had an excellent bark and had a very smoky and "spicy" flavor. They weren't falling off the bone tender and they were a little dry. My wife, my dinner guests and I considered them excellent, especially for our first attempt on the BGE.

We served the ribs with homemade gazpacho, broccoli slaw and bruschetta from a local "farm Market" that I heated on the BGE. A great meal for a hot evening.

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Sounds2Good,

Glad your ribs came out good, and that your diners enjoyed them.

If you thought your ribs were a little dry, the solution probably isn't to mist them. In my experience, opening the Egg constantly to baste or mist seems to release more moisture than you gain. My best results have come from just leaving them alone.

My guess is that the ribs might not actually have been completely done if they were dry, though at 5.5 hours, they could have actually been overdone too. Checking internal temp on such a thin piece of meat is hard. Another way to tell is with what is called the 'bend test'. Pick up a rack from one end with your tongs. If it bends to about 90 degrees, it's done.

Good luck with your next cook.

-John
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Try spritzing them every 30 mins with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar.