Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Advice PLEASE!

HossHoss Posts: 14,587
edited 8:10PM in EggHead Forum
I am gonna attempt to cook this funky thang today.All advice,tips,tricks would be GREATLY appreciated. :blink:

100_4302.jpg
·

Comments

• hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,839
    I thought you were going to ask how to change a diaper! :woohoo:
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,351
    Any instructions on the packaging? I do recall that you should poke holes all over the skin to allow the fat an escape route. Happy cookin'!!~~
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    :laugh: I would need advice on that too.I made it 48 years and ain't changed one yet. ;)
    ·
    Thanks.yeah there are instructions,just thought someone may know a secret to making this thang super fantastic. :S
    ·
    THANK YOU!
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Seems to me that LC prepares a lot of Duck, give her a "Ping." I am sure some others too, but none comes to mind. ClayQ maybe. :)
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,381
    Keep that fat!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • Hi Hoss,

I've done a number of ducks on the Egg and they come out pretty good. I do them slow (225-250) at first to render off the fat, poking the skin full of holes as Rascal suggested to give the fat an escape path. I turn up the heat toward the end of the cook to brown the outside and set up any glaze or sauce I decide to use.

Here's a link to a writeup from our blog from a while back that walks through the steps I used to do a couple of port-glazed ducks.... http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/09/recipe-smoked-d.html

Duck%20on%20the%20Egg%203_1.jpg

Carved%20Duck%201.jpg

Here is a link to another one my wife did. She cooked this one hotter (275-300) for less time. - Duck with Pomegranate-Walnut Sauce - http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/04/recipe-grilled.html

Duck%20on%20the%20Egg%203.jpg

Good luck,

-John
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,315
    Was on their web site and for this. If you cook turn out good enter it in their discover contest ;) No mention of cooking duck on an egg on their website.
    http://www.mapleleaffarms.com/5
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Gotcha Beat Hoss 49 years. Its been awhile, but in the restaurant mom used to render them out for at least a couple hours at a low temp. Right before serving we would put them under the broiler to crisp up the skin then put the orange sauce on. I wish I had payed more attention, she made an awesome orange sauce.
    ·
  • Hoss, I have a duck in my freezer and have been researching ways to cook it. Here is a link I saved:

http://bbq.about.com/od/poultry/a/aa082199.htm

From my readings on it, I think I would deconstruct it, or at least cook it in pieces, it doesn't seem like it cooks evenly if you do it whole.

Whatever you decide to do, I am sure it will be great.
    ·
  • I did duck the same as fearless grill - it was fantastic!
    skin was the crispiest, most delicious, awesome!

it was simple and great!

took longer than I planned though.
    ·
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Thanks Faith, that's an interesting link. :)

Blair

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,821
    If you are in an oriental flavor mood, cut into pieces and try this. PS Oriental flavored LONEY is great also.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=596159&catid=1
    ·
    ;) Molly,that is the MAIN reason for cooking this thing. :laugh:
    ·
    Thanks. :)
    ·
    Looks GREAT! Thanks. :)
    ·
    Thanks.
    ·
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    I am truly humbled when I see you asking for advice. I wanna know how that thang comes out....see'em in the store all the time and want to try'em, but have no idea how to proceed. Keep me posted, podner.
    ·
    I was thinkin of cutting it up.Thanks. :)
    ·
    Thanks Richard. :)
    ·
    Thanks.I have grilled Wild duck breasts many times.This is my first attempt at a storebought one. :blink: I mainly want to cook it for the duck fat everyone raves about. :)
    ·
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

You are a Master with the egg Hoss, a little duck should be simple for you. I'm looking forward to see what you do. I have only had it roasted. One place down here used to serve it with a berry sauce made of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries that was awesome.

Blair

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    The last one I did, I cut into pieces and cooked it indirect at 350-400 until it was 190 internal. I don't like med rare duck and love crispy skin. -RP

IMG_0577Small.jpg
    ·
    Thank you Sir.I hope I don't mess it up too bad! :blush:
    ·
    Thanks Randy.That looks GREAT!
    ·
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    When I see a package that states "Seasoned with approximately 12% of a solution of water, salt, and sodium phosphate" in addition to "with orange sauce packet" I question how much of the total price I am paying is for water. I got stung with a turkey breast containing a "flavor packet" and found it to be 18% of the total weight of the water injected breast. So I was paying premium price for about 25% water. Marketing at its best.
    ·
    I know what ya mean. :( It's all I could find around here. :pinch:
    ·
  • pcipci Posts: 249
    I mainly want to cook it for the duck fat everyone raves about.
    What do you do with duck fat?
    ·