Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin

Options
muttin
muttin Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have only had my egg for about a month and love it and everyone on this forum has been a great help.

i am planning on cooking some pork loin for the first time on the egg always used to cook them on the gasser but they sucked

i am going to be cooking 3-4 loins i am looking for some help to impress my guests. looking for time temp and internal temp to be done ext.

also along with this would like to grill some baked potatoes and have never done that either so all the help i can get i would appreciate it
thanks

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I love pork loin on the egg always turns out moist and very tasty.
    To brined or not brined?..., no real preference. If you decide to brine there are several good brine recipes on the net.
    If I don't brine I use dry rub (like any of the Dizzy's product or John Henry's Pecan Rub) and let the rub set on the loin for 30 minutes at RT.
    Cook direct/indirect is an "at the moment decision", but I always cook high in the dome.
    Pull when the center reads 140, wrap in foil and rest in the microwave for 15 minutes. IT will climb about 5-10 degrees.
    Wood chips-sometimes, pecan, apple....never mesquite way too harsh. Wood chips added last 10 minutes of cook.
    Hope that gives you some ideas B)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The pork loins generally work best roasted in the 325 - 350 range. I do them indirect, because they scorch easily.

The time it takes depends on the size & weight. A rule of thumb is 30 min per pound, but do aim at the temperature already mentioned.

I like marinades. Because you are doing several, you could try various flavors, and let your guests sample all.

If you want a very crisp crust tater, rub them in olive oil, and salt or rub them, and put them on the grill till they have an internal of 205. Again, size changes the time, but I usually allow 1 hour for bakers.

For a softer potato, wrap them in foil with oil. (And better yet, add a clove of garlic, and a quarter onion, S & P) They will cook a little faster.

Also look up stuffed pork loins. They are some work, but the results are often wonderful.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    This is how I did mine. It had the "wow" factor for the wife and I.

325 -350 Indirect, your favorite rub, drip pan with apple juice, V-rack. pull at 145 Internal temp, foil and rest for 20 - 30 mins.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I did the pork loin and potato tonight as my first cook in the egg. I put the taters on at the same time as the loin and pulled both at 1 hr 50 min at an inner temp of the loin of 165 degrees. Cooked both at 350 degrees and was surprised how the egg maintained that temp without any further adjustment (first timer luck). Both came out great, moist and delicious. Oh, hungry and excited on how it came out and forgot to let the loin rest.
    Have a pic but don't know how to post it.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I was super-intrigued with the Al Capone pork roast that was the subject of a couple of threads a few days ago. In gabbing with a local meat cutter, what is, was not pork loin, but boneless shoulder pork roast. Now I have a 3.5 pounder ready to go on the BGE Monday afternoon. Yum!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Get you a Photobucket account (Free), upload the photo in Photobucket and copy and paste the IMG copy of the file into your reply of post and then submit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • muttin
    muttin Posts: 45
    Options
    So I cooked mine they were smaller loins so put potatoes in the micro. For a little bit first to make sure they were done. Set egg up to 350 cooked for 45 min. I pulled the loins at 150 internal temp. And potatoes when they were at 210 internal temp they turned out great. I heard to pull them anywhere From 140-170 is there a big difference in them tmeps when doing loins?