Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You regulars know me...is the hole wrong???

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a s/m/l and all of them have the dome thermometer hole drilled in at such an angle that the probe is aimed toward the middle of the egg. A couple years ago I saw several new BGEs where the dome thermometer pointed straight down toward the "center of the earth". IMHO those would give a bad reading by reading the outside of the fire box. I posted these concerns back then and only a few responded. The conclusion was some new employee in Mexico drilled them wrong...today I was in a nearby city and saw the same downward directed hole. Has "he" been rehired to screw up more domes??? I didn't have my camera so I can't show you a pix.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    RRP,
    I think several people posted that they had contacted BGE about it and were told that it was done deliberately so that the thermometer probe would avoid poking the food. I'd call them and ask since they should be the authority on the matter. I've got one or two vertical holes and I don't really see a problem when I use them.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    RRP,
    the angular direction of the probe inside the
    dome is irrelevant to the thermocouple which
    creates the thermometer movement, other than
    the angle of incidence of the heat rising past
    and thereby influencing the metal of the probe.
    e.g. doesn't care 'where it's pointing'.[p]Unless I'm completely wrong. It happened once.
    best, HS.

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    RRP,
    The theromometer hole on my large goes straight down. I have not had any issues with it so far.....

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    RRP, Mine points at a 45 degree angle to the center of the grate. I thought it was done so one could read the thermo from the patio window!

• Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    RRP,
    I've got 3 eggs and they all point towards the middle. All work fine. It is more helpfull to see mounted that way--See Yaa

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    HolySmokes,[p]Yep, I have one each way, and both seem to work fine. I don't like the straight up one because I cannot see it from any distance.[p]I guess it boils down to the angle of the dangle is congruent to the hypotenuse of the flux capacitor.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    GrillMeister,
    "angle of the dangle"
    I'm from San Antonio, and when I was around 10 and out at the deer lease, I vaguely remember hearing a joke about a guy woh gets stung by a spider in the outhouse. Had something to do with that punch line. <G>
    jaymer...