Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't eat pulled pork til tomorrow; now what?

syl
syl Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all - in preparation for a bunch of family arriving today, I put two 6-lb butts on the Egg last night. Turned out perfect, they're in the foil now (at 11 AM) and now I find out the fam won't be arriving until probably late tonight. I feel like it would be a waste to serve them tonight, when people would probably rather eat something quick and go to bed. SO, what's the best way to keep them, and to reheat them for tomorrow?

Comments

• guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Pull it, and pack in vacuum bags if you have them. If not, ziplock bags with as much of the air removed as possible. When you want to reheat, just drop the bags in boiling water (this is why you want the air out... so they don't blow up).

I freeze/reheat pulled pork all the time this way. The reheated result is just as good as when it was first pulled. I don't even add any extra liquid - it doesn't dry out sealed in the bag.

__Jason
  • guzzijason
    Another tip: a ziplock bag and a straw make a pretty good "poor man's vacuum sealer". I did this for years before I finally got a Food Saver. Seal the ziplock all the way, except for where the straw is. Suck the air out through the straw, and then quickly seal the remainder of the ziplock as you are pulling the straw out. Not perfect, but works pretty good. Like I said, I did this for years.

__Jason
  • syl
    syl Posts: 16
    Thanks, I will do that. Have you ever tried to refrigerate or freeze a cooked but un-pulled butt?
  • guzzijason
    syl wrote:
    Thanks, I will do that. Have you ever tried to refrigerate or freeze a cooked but un-pulled butt?

I haven't. It will take a long time to cool/freeze if you keep it whole. Plus, if you try to pull it when it's still cold, you may find it difficult. I've had no problems pulling then packing.

Good luck!

__Jason
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    We cover with commercial foil and let set for 2 hours and thenm refridgerate over night. Reheat at 275 for 1&1/2 hours in the oven. They will pull just fine. You might put a little liquid in the foil before heating. Good luck to all.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Do you puncture the bag to let air escape or just put the sealed bag in water and let it puff up?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!