Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

how do I keep my butt warm?

back2grillinback2grillin Posts: 27
edited 10:24AM in EggHead Forum
Smoked 2 beautiful pork butts overnight@ 250 dome temp. Done in 9 hours. They were each 6 1.5 lbs. Anyway, I was hoping to pull a few hours later. So it is breakfast time, the butts are triple wrapped in HDAF, in n newspaper, and beach towels in a warm cooler with a little apple juice. I was planning on shredding around lunch, but friends are coming for dinner, 8 hours from now. Do I still shred in 4 hours and crock pot the meat? Any adive would be appreciated. (I pulled the butts off@ 195 internal temp.)
·

Comments

• Turn on your seat warmer? :laugh:

But seriously, I have wrapped a brisket in hd foil and stuck it in a 175* oven for 6 hours w/o any problems. See what temp your oven sits at on warm and try that.
    ·
  • Would leave in Cooler for roughly 4 hours then over to warm over if easily done, dont pull until later.

Truth be told Ive coolered longer than 4hrs on more than a few occasions with no issues.
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
    ·
  • Would you add some liquid to wrap packet? The oven won't dry it out?
    ·
  • Planned on cooler time to be 4 hours, then crock pot, but if the oven is a better way, then I will try that, it shouldn't dry it out?
    ·
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Keep it out of the "Danger Zone." Either keep it warm enough or cold enough. It's all explained in detail here: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/How_Temperatures_Affect_Food.pdf and there are no short cuts or cheating the facts. I know I'm not much help but food poisoning is serious. I know, been there done that and it was from a sub I had just bought, not something I had made or stored.

Better safe then SORRY!!!

Blair

·
  • Crock should be fine on low with some juice may even be better than the oven. Have never tested the difference.
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
    ·