Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hot plate setter

muttinmuttin Posts: 45
edited 7:35AM in EggHead Forum
So does anyone have any advice on taking out a hot plate setter. Let's say I was cooking both a pork loin and potatoes and wanted to take and throw them on direct to finish them off and want to take the plate setter off to do that.
·

Comments

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Well I would think gloves would be the answer. Try the Orca gloves or welders gloves. You have to be quick even with those.
    ·
  • muttinmuttin Posts: 45
    Ya I have welding gloves. But man still burt my finger.
    ·
  • reccitronreccitron Posts: 175
    I use welders gloves. They work for a short time so you better have a place picked out to put it.
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Welders gloves and move very fast to an area already cleared out.

Even then the welder gloves heat up fast. I found wearing pair of "ove gloves" AND using the welding gloves like pot holders works great.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    I get a hold of the placesetter using my tongs and tilt up until I can grab a hold of it. I have a SS steel bowl that I turn upside down and I park the hot placesetter on that to cool. Needless to say I wear a glove when i handle the placesetter.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,616
    This subject comes up regularly, and the one thing that always is emphasized is "have a place decided on ahead of time to put down the hot plate setter!"
    Judy in San Diego
    ·
  • Austex_EggerAustex_Egger Posts: 153
    New product idea! Hot Plate Setter Mover. Some one should be able to design something like a 3-pronged clamp that we could use instead of burning our fingers... :laugh:
    ·
  • James MBJames MB Posts: 349
    Absolutely true - know where you're going to put it down!
    Silicone grabbies work for me, oven gloves are a bit cumbersome to grab it with. Fortunately the platesetter cooks aren't usually the hot ones!
    ·
  • funk49funk49 Posts: 115
    I agree! You need somewhere to set it down QUICK.
    5 feet away is pushing it. Ask me how I know. :(
    ·
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • Hi Chris - was about to make the same comment...Ditto
    ·
  • muttinmuttin Posts: 45
    so did the gloves work well then? no one really said in that last post. i maybe will get some of these but wold like to know how they worked
    ·
  • eggsrgreateggsrgreat Posts: 86
    The original OV glove is the answer. I do it all the time with these. I use them for my wood stove, BGE, oven, anything hot. They give you quite a while before they start getting your fingers hot. There about $15 each, but well worth it. I have used the crap out of mine, and still good.
    ·
  • RobsgrillRobsgrill Posts: 7
    I use the plate setter lifter for my large egg...........got it from Dicksonbbq .....works like a charm.

http://www.dicksonbbq.com/plate-setter-lifter.html
    ·
  • BullibeBullibe Posts: 132
    I made this to lift mine with and then it hangs under my table on a hook.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
    ·