Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Ribs

Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready for my first BBQ competition. I am in charge of the ribs on my team. I thought I'd post a few pictures of how things turned out. If anyone sees anything that I could do differently or better let me know. I used a homemade rub on the ribs. I used the 3-2-1 method to make the ribs, but it was more like 3-1 1/2-1/2. I finished the ribs with a combination of some homemade BBQ sauce and Blues Hog Smokey Mountain. The flavor of the ribs was excellent. They were very moist. When I bit into the ribs it left a good bite mark. The meat was easily separated from the bone. Let me know what you all think!

5989688540_a4fc5b8ea0.jpg
DSC_0002 by yates0269, on Flickr

5989689780_2f84fa34bb.jpg
DSC_0007 by yates0269, on Flickr

5989132281_b21cfa404e.jpg
DSC_0009 by yates0269, on Flickr

5989695334_f682c4110a.jpg
DSC_0012 by yates0269, on Flickr

5989133993_4ce1d72783.jpg
DSC_0011 by yates0269, on Flickr

I would really appreciate everyone's input.

Comments

• Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Nice looking cook! How were they? They look nice and moist. The first pic made me think maybe they were on a bit too long, but the cut pics look like they are still moist. Must have been fall off the bone. I don't slather that much sauce on mine. Generally just use a lighter finishing sauce applied after I remove them.
  • Harleydog77
    They were delicious! I agree with the immediate thought that they may have been on too long. I can assure you this is not the case. I put the sauce on probably 20 minutes before I took them off.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    All I can say is wow. Those look great. How did you do in the competition. I wish you the best of luck but it looks like you don't need it. Those look fantastic. Thanks.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Nice bite mark. That should earn you some points. Ribs look moist too. Good luck at the competition
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    I think I could give you a more educated opinion if you saved some for me to taste. :) They look amazing.
  • Harleydog77
    I was just "practicing" for the competition tonight. The comp. is in a couple weeks. I am getting pretty excited to be in my first comp.
  • tacodawg
    Good luck where is the competition at.
  • Harleydog77
    Thanks! There are actually some left if you want to swing up north and try some.
  • Harleydog77
    In Wisconsin. It is just a local thing put on by our BBQ club.
  • tacodawg
    Too far away from me to come cheer you on so good luck.
  • Harleydog77
    Thank you. I can use all of the help I can get!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Beautiful ribs Harley. Those should score well.

I like how you roll with your own rub and sauce(mostly). Never tried the Smokey Mountain. I know most rave about Original, but honestly it doesn't do much for me. It's a good store bought sauce. I'd take a doctored SBR over it any day.

Only advice I would give, tweek your sauce enough to omit the store bought stuff completely. Fresh ingredients trump anything out of a jar IMO. :)

Parkay, store bought rubs/sauces, muffin pan chicken, candy coated ribs? I can't conform enough to give it a shot.

Best of luck with your competition Harley.B)

That is one hell of a blade too. B)
    Might want to get a decent electric slicer. Makes cutting a rack in short order super easy. Slice your Brisket with it also. I would hate to see ya chip that blade on a rib bone or platter. ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• edaly
    edaly Posts: 13
    Awesome looking texture, which seems like the hardest thing to nail just right on ribs. Nice job.

I'm going to do 3 racks tomorrow and will be doing 3 - 1.5 - 0.5 as well. Any tips on the foiling or temps you used?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Hey, your ribs look great! If the flavor and texture is good you're on the right track. Keep up the good work,- document and repeat and fine adjustment is one way to nail a recipe.
  • Harleydog77
    I used a combination of apple wood and hickory. I kept the dome temp as close to 200 deg F as I could for the whole cook. I also spritzed the ribs with apple juice every 45 minutes or so.