Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn on the cob

bpric
bpric Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I've found several great ideas for cooking corn on the cob in the egg, and they all seem like they would be delicious, but my current needs are a bit different...

I'm making a corn salad to be served chilled, so the corn will be cut from the cob and the kernels should be fairly firm. I don't plan on adding spice directly to the corn as the other flavors will come from the other salad ingredients. Any suggestions for cooking time, temperature, direct/indirect, etc. I usually steam the corn for this recipe, but I thought that a slightly smokey flavor component would take it to the next level.

Thanks
-- Bryan

p.s. I'll post my recipe if it turns out.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I was going to say cooking on the egg will give you a smokey taste and you need to decide if you want that flavor mix.

If you wrap in foil you may as well cook in the oven. Cooking the without the husk/silk will give you a char type result which may be good and also an interesting look in the dish.

Cooking in the husk and silk will give you a result that will be pretty close to what you get with steaming but you will have a nice wood flavor with the corn.

There is a not a lot of difference if the ears are pre-soaked or not. You can soak for about 15 minutes then drain then on the egg or just put the corn on the egg. The husk and silk will all come off easily when the cook is done.

corn2_400.jpg

corn1_400.jpg

gg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I always just boil mine on the stove. :)

Told Mom I was going to try them on the egg with the husks on. She said, "NOOO!! Sometimes they have WORMS!!!" :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    What GG said, in the husk is the only way to go. I usually soak corn that I buy in the supermarket since I know some time has passed since it was picked. Right now we can get corn from local farmer's markets that was picked within a day or so. No need to soak when it is that fresh.
    Let us know what you decide and how it turns out :):)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    :):) Pretty hard to get that wood flavor when boiling.

Worms, protein and more flavor. I have had any visitors in my corn... yet.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I would cook in the shuck,indirect,350 dome 45 mins to 1 hour depending on how roasted you want it.
  • Hoss
    I sure as heck don't want an ear of corn a worm wouldn't eat!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoss bet you can get an acre of corn on your egg :laugh:
    I was telling a buddy of mine about your cook the other week. Your an urban legond now ;)

Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Hoss
    :blush: I could get an acre of MY corn on the egg.I planted a patch,it was doing well.My Dad's horses somehow opened the gate???? :angry: They bit 50 of my cantaloupes that were ready to pick and TRAMPLED my corn patch! :blink: :pinch: If they were ANYBODY elses horses,I would be cookin Horse Meat this weekend!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So goes life.Guess they like to eat too. ;)
  • OOOch sorry to hear that..
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com