Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked BAD Lump

Iko
Iko Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Second week in a row trying to light the Egg with Wicked Good Lump and second week in a row I can't get it done. Stirred the lump, used starter cubes...nothing. :(

Stirred the lump again, used wiggle rod, then tried a chimney start...nothing. :pinch:

Stirred the lump a third time + wiggle rod then tried some paper towels soaked in oil. NOTHING WORKS! :angry:

Gotta be the lump. Can't get this s**t lit to save my life. So it's back to the Weber for the first time since getting my Egg a couple months back. ARGH!

(it's gotta be the lump, right?)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Say it ain't so with the Weber. Should switch out lump with something else and see if you are getting the same results. Wicked Good seems to be a fav around here. Even the local BBQ restraunt here in town uses Wicked in their outside smoker.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    dunno. been thru about 15-20 bags of it and never had a problem. lights the same as any other lump i've used. luv the stuff.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Iko,

Go get yourself a MAPP gas torch and all your worries will be over. I'd go with the Benzomatic ts4000 with the trigger and little 'constant on' button. (Yellow tank)

I don't care what the situation is you'll get it going. ;) and if you are really aggressive then get a Weedburner! :woohoo:

Nothing wrong with WG lump. It's very dense, but that can be a plus, once you get it going. :P
  • SeaBassHWD
    SeaBassHWD Posts: 44
    If you're using a chimney starter and you still can't get it lit, then the lump you have might have moisture in it. Try another type of lump.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Could be moisture. The charcoal may have been damp when you bought it or gotten damp depending on where and how you store it. Depending on where you are located even some of this crazy weather that has been going around this summer may cause condensation that can dampen charcoal. You might try another bag from another source that was purchased just recently to see if that helps.

Good luck,

Blair

• Iko
    Ripnem - Been thinking about a MAPP torch anyway. I looked at the Benzomatic on Amazon and it says it can use propane gas too. Have you used with propane or do you really need to use MAPP to light effectively? If so, can you buy MAPP at any local hardware store/superstore?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You can use propane, but it doesn't burn as hot and has troubles burning upside down. Stick with the Mapp unless the propane is free. It's what plumbers use and can be purchased any old place.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Agree with you all the way Adam on both of your posts.
    Very good dense lump and a Mapp would be nice to have with any lump.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    With the big huge chunks, WG can be hard to start but when you break it up into smaller pieces, it lights better.

A lot of folks here love Wicked Good. I'm in the minority. I bought three bags and I just wasn't that impressed. I'm just as happy with Royal Oak/Full Circle that I can buy from the store.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Iko
    Ripnem - Been thinking about a MAPP torch anyway. I looked at the Benzomatic on Amazon and it says it can use propane gas too. Have you used with propane or do you really need to use MAPP to light effectively? If so, can you buy MAPP at any local hardware store/superstore?
  • I bought a pallet of WG w/a few neighbors and was really happy. One of my neighbors has never used anything but WG... Well, I am out now and have been using Royal Oak and some Cowboy and its been fine. The WG could occasionally be a little more tricky to start than the less dense stuff - I used my Bernzomatic MAPP torch and no prob..
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    The bernzomatic can be used with propane also with just as good of results. Just bought two 1.2 Lb bottles from my tractor supply for $6 I think it was a good buy.Mapp gas was twice that for one.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • bwcegged
    bwcegged Posts: 18
    Wicked Good is my lump of choice, not one single prob of lighting for me!
  • I miss my Wicked Good...need to buy another pallet.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I wouldn't classify a weedburner as aggressive?!? Its necessary! :woohoo:
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Stuff is damp if not downright soaked!

The WG I had in my Egg was hard to light one time and I discovered a leak in my Egg cover right over the top. Not sure what happened but a new cover cleared it all up.

Store you lump in a water tight container or keep the bag in a well ventilated shed.

If, in fact it is damp/wet take it out and leave it in the sun for a couple of days and it should light just fine.

No need to give up on it.