Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook Direct or Indirect??

crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking baked potato, grilled veggies, top sirloin and chicken breasts tonight.

Should I cook direct heat all the way? I do not want to burn the potatoes or veggies.

Thanks!
__________ Chris

Comments

• You will get a few answers and there are a couple ways you can go.

Indirect or direct raised grid on the potatoes and wrap and remove till the veggies are done.

Crank up the heat and a quick grill of the veggies and wrap in foil.

Then grill the steaks - doesn't take long and tots and veggies will be hot and waiting.

Good luck with it
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I would do the baked potato indirect, which can be easily accomplished by placing a foil wrapped brick or two on your grid. (regular bricks are fine, they don't have to be fire bricks). Everything else I would do direct. You can even nuke the spud for a few minutes to get the cooking started if you are short on time. Everything else will cook fast. I also recommend tossing your veggies in a small drizzle of EVOO, then s&p.
  • crmilt
    Using this theory of indirect for the potatoes, can I use a pizza stone on the grid to make it indirect and put the potatoes directly on the pizza stone or on a raised grid above the pizza stone?
    __________ Chris
  • Little Chef
    You can do the pizza stone thing on the grid, just turn the spuds half way through. The bricks work better IMO because they don't take up as much grid space. I just slide them to the side when I am ready to cook something else direct, and I have 3/4 of my grid space available while the potatoes stay hot. May have a pic of my barbaric set-up somewhere...I'll see if I can find one. (Mind you, we do have just about EVERY gadget for the Egg :laugh: ...I just find the brick trick super simple! ;) )
  • crmilt
    Thanks, I think I have the concept now. I will use the pizza stone because (a) I have it; and (b) it will not be hard to take off for the direct cook.
    __________ Chris
  • Little Chef
    crmilt: I know it's not too difficult to envision, but here is a pic of some scalloped potatoes going on 2 bricks, and chicken going direct...

DSC02345.jpg
  • crmilt
    Perfect. Thx! I appreciate your advice.
    __________ Chris