Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grilled pineapple

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wish to grill some fresh pineapple as side to pork chops. Would like an idea or two about how to do (rubs and temp.) pineapple slices?[p]Thanks, [p]Ray

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    pineapple.jpg
    <p />Babyray,[p]I like to keep it real simple. Some like to dip the pineapple slices in sweetened condensed milk and/or sugar, but I guarantee you that if you get a ripe pineapple, grilling it will bring out plenty of natural sugar in the fruit.[p]Also works well on kabobs - just place in between your meat slices.[p]The link below has details on how I do them.[p]Experiment, have fun, and good luck![p]TRex
    [ul][li]Grilled Pineapple[/ul]
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Babyray,
    We have this often. We buy the cored pineapple in the fruit section at Publix. The juice is used to mix into the sauce that will carmelize onto the pork at the end of a cook.[p]Slice pineapple about 3/4"
    Sprinkle lightly with turbinado sugar or regular sugar[p]When you pull the meat off, wrap it in aluminum foil to rest and distribute the juices evenly. While the meat is wrapped, open the vents wide open on the botton and remove the cap, allowing max air flow. Place the rings on the grid, flip after about 4 minutes, another 4 minutes on the second side, then flip again criss-crossing the grill marks cooking for about 2 minutes, then same again for 2 more minutes. In all, the meat will rest for about 12 minutes and the pineapple is served hot.[p]These go quick around here![p]Banker John

• TRex,[p]Thanks for posting - looks good! I plan to give it a try.[p]Best,[p]CTB
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Babyray,
    My favorite is to mix some turbinado sugar with cinnamon, cloves and lime zest. Dip pineapple in melted butter then the sugar/spice mix. Grill about 4 minutes per side at around 500 degrees. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Whoooooo!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Fantastic! I don't remember where I saw the idea, but I just tried it today and it's a keeper. I used San Antonio red chili powder, sprinkled on AFTER I grilled the pineapple.[p]I think the grill temp was about 350, but it's just important to get nice grill marks on all sides (I did long spears).[p]Lee