Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - first try

Options
CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was a weeknight and I wasn't up for making my own dough/sauce so I stopped by Papa Murphy's on the way home. Bought two uncooked pizzas, one with just sauce and the other with cheese, pepperoni, bacon and tomatoes.

I used a 14" Oneida pizza stone I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond (for about 14 dollars). Medium egg.

My layers: fire ring -> grid -> platesetter (EDIT: legs down) -> pizza stone.

Strangely, I couldn't get my dome temp over 400 degrees (even with the vent fully open and the DMFT sitting on my side table). Let it heat up for over an hour, too. Maybe the stone is a bit too large...

Despite a lower temperature than I would've liked the pizzas cooked MUCH faster than I expected. In fact, the crusts were a little too crunchy and hard. Still, they turned out pretty good!

Pizza #1
Herbed tomato sauce
Fresh goat cheese
Roasted garlic (on half)
Kalamato olives
5987380379_3190d328e9_z.jpg
Goat Cheese pizza on the Egg by Cybert99, on Flickr

Pizza #2
Pepperoni
Bacon
Tomatoes
Cheese mixture
5987953926_55224d2c28_z.jpg
Pepperoni Pizza on the Egg by Cybert99, on Flickr

Comments

• BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    HI Crazy Harry
    coincidence, I cooked my first Pizza last night,
    and also have a brother named Harry.
    Never cooked one before but learned a lesson.
    When your using platesetter and want temps around 450-500 You gotta really fill up the egg with charcoal,
    get it up to about 600 or so, then be careful
    put in your platesetter and stone and adjust till you get your temp. I could not get mine up to temp
    until I did that. Have had a egg for 3 years but never
    cooked a Pizza. remember that stone does block heat,
    the Probe is getting indirect heat which is naturally not as hot as direct heat. Only took me 3 years to figure out, LOL I also should of used something
    under stone to air circulated cause my crust was very soft. will do beter next time. good luck BullyC
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Since they cooked quickly, you may want to check your dome thermometer. -RP
  • BrunDog
    BrunDog Posts: 27
    Options
    Suggest platesetter legs down, stone on top. It'll crisp quick, especially after the stone has time to really come to temp.

-BD
  • CrazyHarry
    Options
    I calibrated it a couple of weeks ago, but I may have to do it again.

The crust was pretty thin. Dome temp was a freckle over 400. Instructions from Papa Murphy's said: "425 to 450, indirect, for 20 to 25 minutes."

The crust on the second pizza was brown and crunchy after about 15 minutes.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi crazy Harry
    Other guy was right, Legs down on Pizza,
    On second pizza did you still have that cardboard
    under pizza from papa murphys? I did and my crust never got crisp, had it on 425-450 for 20 minutes,
    never got crisp. Just wondered how yours got crisp?
    Thanks BullyC
  • CrazyHarry
    Options
    Oops, fixed my first post. The platesetter legs were definitely down...

For the first pizza I left the paper tray under the pizza the whole time. It got pretty brown after 15 minutes or so. My wife thought this imparted a slightly strange taste.

For the second pizza I tried to take it off the plate but the crust was too thin and I was worried it would tear. So I cooked it for about 5 minutes with the tray and then slid it directly onto the pizza stone. The second crust got a little burned.

I let my stone heat up for over an hour. And I had ALL the vents wide open. (Like I was searing a couple of steaks.)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    CrazyHarry: Did you have any air gap between your platesetter and the stone?
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    Great looking pies!! That second pizza looks amazing.