Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

start egg fast

BullyC
BullyC Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HI everyone
Question? i have had my egg for a while and realize now
that I sometimes need a very fast start to egg. I usually use my electric start or firestarters that both work great if have the time to wait. You all know sometimes we dont have that time to wait, so having said that, what kind of torch would I buy at either home depot or Lowes to get my charcoal going quick?
I also want something safe also. Have never used a torch
Don't wanna burn anything especially me. Your thoughts are appreciated BullyC

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

The fastest start you will get is with a weed burner - Harbor Freight for about 25 bucks. Less than a minute to start a large.

MAPP/Propane, Oil Napkin and alcohol will all start and get to 400° in about the same amount of time. I would also think 2 starter cubes broken in half and fully lit before putting in the spots of the egg would be about as quick.

The quickest I have been able to light the large or medium and get stable is about 11 to 14 minutes using oil & paper towel, 2 pieces left and right of center.

I would need to look up the tests but off the top of my head 650° and holding in about 17 minutes.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    weed burner is the fastest, long handle and you dont need to pull the trigger to 500,000 btus if you dont want to. harbor freight online is a good and inexpensive weedburner, mines going on maybe 7 years now. you can stand a few feet back with it but wear some glasses and or a hat :woohoo:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I just purchased a Bernzomatic torch, my first one ever, from Lowe's. $26 with a large can of fuel. It works great and lights the lump fast once you get over being afraid of setting your house on fire! Wear safety glasses, it kicks up sparks!

Oh, I hope you handle is just a nickname!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Be careful "getting over being afraid of setting your house on fire." That is not an irrational fear - there's a lot of sparks with a torch.

I decided a paper towel with oil was just as effective, if not nearly as dramatic. If you are going to use a torch, as someone else said, wear goggles.
    New Orleans LA
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I love my wed burner :) hit it all over and go prep and the egg is ready before I am :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Faith, Richard came up with a great idea that I copied. He bought a small metal funnel and forced it up on the torch nozzel backwards to form a heat shield/spark arrestor, works great. I think I paid .99ct for my funnel at the local hardware store.
    I'm glad to see your computer did not burn up :laugh:
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I have a weed burner, and use it a ton. I bought this torch from lowes a while back, and the flame isn't as crazy as my weed burner, and I bury the nozel a little in the charcoal.

232dd2c5.jpg

That way it doesn't spark nearly as much, I can stand back, and it's still a pretty quick light up. But most of the time I like the harbor freight weed burner. Seriously ready to cook in two to three minutes.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Hi Florida grillin girl
    Don't worry, Bully is my nickname cause I am big
    and built like a bull, LOL Bullheaded too, ask my wife.
    I am very gentle don't worry. thanks for input also.
    will get a weed burner when get a chance, thanks
    BullyC
  • Grandpas Grub

The torch is great. I sure did go through a lot of shirts though, those darn sparks are brutal on clothing.

As Frank said a spark guard works great. Keep in mind plastic may melt, metal would work better.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

Nice burner, that sure would save on the burnt clothing.

• leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    I use 1 wax cube and a oiled paper towell when I want a fast start.Ready to cook in about 5 min. :)
  • I have this:

http://www.bernzomatic.com/newsroom/bernzomatic-quickfire-torch.aspx

And have been extremely happy with it. I just wear welding gloves when starting. :whistle:

In fact, I've recently gotten my GF's son into it (he's 14), and he really likes to go out & help start the Egg because he gets to use the torch!! :P

What used to be a "burden" has now become fun - I don't even have to get on him to empty the ashes or do any other "prep" work because he's so "Egg-cited" to get to use the torch, he does it all on his own!! :whistle:

That being said - between using the torch & "helping" the fire along a little bit w/ an old set of fireplace bellows in the bottom vent - I can literally have the Egg from 0 to ~500 in about 10 minutes!! Try THAT with your home oven!! :evil:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Try using fire starters and then use a hair drier. place a few feet away from the bottom air vent after the starters are burning good. Not sure why anybody has not mentioned this yet unles I just didnt read it. just make sure the ashes are cleaned from the Egg first so not to blow them up through the Egg. I can have the Egg to temp in ten minutes or less. without a torch. but I do start My Egg with a torch too!! Great fun that way.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    yeah, it does save on the shirts getting holes in them ;)
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    I'm happy with the Looftlighter for quick starts.